Pigeons dropping bombs in balconies

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pigeons basically love my metal airslits/filter box on top of my windows in my balcony. There were literally four pigeons sitting on it and crapping joyfully on my balcony floor. -__- Had to get a broom to get them away, but they came back... and this is the second time they've bombarded my balcony. It is really disturbing to clean it... especially since I have to wear all these gloves and other protection to clean the diseased excreta. Might just be my 'luck' these days... but it really comes in the wrong times. I'm thinking of doing something about it. What would you guys advice?

I've read about sticking aluminium foil which acts like some kind of scarecrow... but I'm not sure if that will help. I've also thought about putting spikes (needles?) or so to the surface, like they do in train station (at least in the Netherlands).
Note: I'm actually an animal lover, by no means do I want to hurt them. :p

Sponsored Links
us-marine-firing-aa-12-full-auto-shotgun-aa12-machine-shotgun.jpg

Sponsored Links
The spikes do work but are without doubt ugly , indeed it's a toss up which is worse looking spikes or crap.
There is or was a greese type of stuff that can be applied lke mastic which remains sticky and keeps them away until they learn to just crap all over it.
I've seen stuffed owls and birds of prey put up to deter pigeons too , the church in Lichfield town center had one years ago and it did work to begin with but over a period the pigeons were sitting on the roof and getting closer until after a while they were sitting next to the thing.

I've seen stuffed owls and birds of prey put up to deter pigeons too , the church in Lichfield town center had one years ago and it did work to begin with but over a period the pigeons were sitting on the roof and getting closer until after a while they were sitting next to the thing.

Same here! we installed 2 large fibreglass owls on a pulverisation plant roof! the pigeons and gulls were sitting on their heads as we were driving away. :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks guys, I'm liking the ideas so far! :LOL:

I'm sort of looking for something I can build myself.. something I don't need to purchase yet. But that website is very useful alastairreid - I'm checking out the items on there. I don't think I can fit a fake prey or prey-head to the balcony corner. xD

If you can put a fixing in each end of your vent/window and then stretch a very thin wire about 2ins. up between where they perch. It is too thin to perch on and is in the way.
I have done this with black cotton and it effects there flight feathers so they go away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back