Pilot light goes out after switching on heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 28 year old floor standing Potterton Kingfisher CF 60 boiler, old I know but up till now it has given me no problems so if it ain't broke don't fix it. I use the boiler all year to heat the water and at the weekend I switched on the central heating. All the radiators warmed up and then went cold. When I checked the boiler I found the pilot light had gone out. I relit the pilot light and the same happened twice more.

I know the system is old but is there any chance it is repairable. I have four pipes coming out the back of the boiler, I believe it is gravity fed hot water system and I know I can't have radiators with hot water (don't know if this makes any difference to the problem. Sorry but I don't know anything about central heating and I am hoping other forum members may be able to give me some advice.

If I opt for or need a new boiler, will all the radiators and pipe work have to be replaced as well. Is there any way I can find more information about the my choices and options if the boiler is not repairable e.g. what sort of system should I have, best boiler makes etc. or do I have to blindly follow the advice of the plumber.

Sorry for all the questions but this is something I know nothing about and I am trying to learn so I can make informed choices. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Likely to be a part blocked pilot injector but you need a gas safe engineer to repair. A service will sort it out.
As for changing boiler, ask people you know and get recommendations. Usually the best way. A knowledgable chap will give you all the advice you need.

should still be repairable as most parts still available for the old girl a great boiler in its day

Thanks 1983 and ianmcd

I was seeing a very large bill and a long wait for heating. You have both given me hope. Yesterday I left a message with a person suggested by neighbour asking if he could phone me with a view to servicing my boiler but he has yet to call me back. I don't know if this means he is busy and doesn't want any more work or he is away as it is half term holiday.

Hope he phones me soon even to say he doesn't want the work as it is not very warm but at least I know I need to try and find someone else.

The trouble is you hear about all the cowboys out there and I am worried I will end up with a cowboy as I don't know anything about boilers and would be totally in the hands.

Sponsored Links
As said a service may fix but I would expect some parts.
Don't panic too much although the total cost could be around £300

If you have funds available a new boiler wouldn't be a bad idea efficiency wise. but if funds are not available then keep the kingfisher going. With regular servicing it could go another 20 years

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back