Pilot light keeps blowing out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a mature LPG Baxi boiler, in good order normally and serviced annually.
I am having problems with the pilot light being blown out, I think it may be due to wind coming down the chimney is this possible and if so what should I do about it?

Sponsored Links
Is this something that has suddenly occured?

When was it last serviced?

Tony

Boiler is a Baxi Bermuda.

Serviced last November. At which time the gas mans used a reader and said the fire and boiler reading are better than todays models.

pilot light was blowing out in very strong winds in the Spring, but always re ignited easily.

I had the chimney pot and liner checked today, apparently all is sound out on top.

If you are wondering I have called the ' gas man' several times, all I get is voice mail, I have left messages.

Sponsored Links
Never seen a Bermuda fitted to a chimney/liner that suffers from wind blowing out the pilot.
There is something else causing pilot failure and it is not for DIY.
Get another LPG accredited engineer to service and repair it.

Are you in a typical two story house and not in a particularly exposed location?

If so then as suggested it sounbds like a problem with the boiler itself.

The engineer could be on holiday? Does it ring first before or go direct to voicemail?

Tony

Boiler needs serviced dirt has got into pilot assembly

Its also possible that a part is failing!

I saw one yesterday which had gone open circuit.

Tony

Thankyou all for your replies,

the phone rings before it goes to voice mail, does this mean something?

When I do get a 'gas man' to come I will let you know the results.

If it rings with normal UK ring tone it implies he is in the UK.

It may well be that he is ignoring you!!!

That can often be because we see BBUs a time consuming to work on for even minor faults because of the need to remove the fire front etc.

Tony

Thank you Tony, the last twice the 'gas man' came I had already taken the fire front off.

Answer to a previous enquiry I live in a cottage built in 1892 which is situated in the middle of a 66 acre field, no trees nor buildings for shelter and the winds do blowand howl, it's great but better if the heating is working.

Which area of the country do you live in? Is it two story?

There is a simple electronics test which an engineer should make to test the component which I suspect is at fault.

There is a less scientific test which you could do yourself. Its not the correct voltage measurement but it does give a rough indication. Lie down in front of the boiler and get someone else to turn off the gas and measure the number of seconds before you hear a click from the gas valve as the no flame protection operates.

Tony

Gas man has been :D !

Fitted new thermocouple, but could not light pilot light at all, found jet to be blocked, jet should have apparently dropped out of component but is firmly fixed, chap managed to unblock jet with needle.
All now working although pilot sounds like a jet plane, this is an exaggeration but it is loud.

Oh and as regards the gas man not answering my messages, he down loaded an update which stopped the phone working completely!

Gas man has been :D !

chap managed to unblock jet with needle. :eek: :eek:
All now working although pilot sounds like a jet plane

If it was cleaned with a needle you need to get him back to fit a new pilot jet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back