Pilot light on Glow Work Fuelsaver Mk2 wont stay on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First up i know its an ancient boiler and next year is when i am planning on finally changing it but financially could do with it surviving until then

Basically i recently had my radiators flushed and all was well until bathroom one went cold so i read up on balancing the system and switched off a couple of the other rads and the bathroom one started getting warm.

Problem then was all the radiators started cooling down so checked the boiler and pilot light had gone out. Have tried re-lighting and pilot comes on while im holding the button in but as soon as i release it goes out again

Anyone give any advice on what this might be?

Thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
Very simple boiler, but the repair requires a professional. The forum restricts DIY gas advice. In all honesty it won't be an expensive repair.

Hi
Boiler was serviced about 2 years ago. I dont really want to go mad on spending as i know Im overdue to replace it and will have some money through towards the end of this year to do so.
Are you allowed to tell me what part you think it needs? Just i dont know any plumbers so dont want to get ripped off when i get someone in, dont want them saying its this huge expensive par if its something small

Sponsored Links
It's a common fault on this type of boiler you need a good service and repair

Thanks, I dont want any advice on how its fixed as i know nothing about gas and certainly dont want to mess with it. Do the rules prohibit you telling me the name of the part? My main concern is getting a plumber and they tell me its something else and charge me the earth would rather show i at least had an idea with them.

I assume i caused this with trying to balance the radiators?

usually you might need one part possibly 2 parts will be approx 45 quid and take no more than 45 mins to fit and get running worst case scenario is the actual gas valve has gone at about 130 quid. good boiler worth fixing and keeping for several more years

-----------------------------
Any Work would HAVE to be done by a Gas Safe Registered person.
Mod
-----------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you holding the button firmly in for at least 30 secs and then gently releasing it?

Why do you think that you are going to get ripped off?

For those of us who don't rip people off, that seems to be not a very nice thing to say.

Tony

Last edited:
Yes held it in for a minute or more but still goes off as soon as released.

Regards to ripping off the only way I have of finding a plumber is newspaper or yellow pages. I've heard plenty of stories about people who advertise there ripping people off.
That is not a slight aimed at anyone on this forum, if it was I would not ask here but like any walk of life there are good and bad and I'd like to be armed with some information before I commit to a repair

@ChrisRH If you were to put your location on here or the start of your postcode then you may find that one of us kind souls may be local to you and could help you out. Papers and yellow pages are a craps shoot. Best to get recommendations or someone who is willing to lose their reputation on here in a public forum! As mentioned before it shouldn't be more than about £45 in parts, probably less, and an hour. If it's a gas valve fault then about £125 in parts plus the hour.

Jon

I've heard plenty of stories about people who advertise there ripping people off.

I have just as many, better founded, samples of customers ripping tradesmen off. Bet you rip off your employer all the time stealing stationary and surfing the internet solving personal problems in his paid time.

Dan ok mate whatever floats your boat, you've quite obviously had some painful experiences that means you know I obviously rip my employer off and everything else you said as well as everyone who advertises in yellow pages has a halo above their heads.

Aquaheat Wasn't sure if i was allowed to ask for a plumber here but if that the case I am in Rhyl North Wales, if anyone knows anyone this way i would really appreciate, as you said papers and yellow pages are a crap shoot. I would much prefer someone recommended.

@ChrisRH @Dan Robinson is one of our own and he gives good advice. We constantly get annoyed by people that "think" they are getting ripped off and bring this up before we even know the problem. Funny bit is we get this every day at work and then do this for free only to get the same thing. I'm not going to speak for Dan but I think it was meant as a "those in glass houses shouldn't cast first stone" kind of comment.

Well you are miles from me so I can't help but there may be someone on here from that area although I can't think of one off the top of my head. I may be there in august or september when they have a 80's night at Butlins if thats any good? lol.

Jon

Fair enough mate. I'm not looking for a bust up, I kind of figured you guys would have come across people in papers ect claiming to be plumbers and then making a bad job of it which you end up sorting out. I am not here saying this is any of you or I would not be asking for your advice.
Don't think my Mrs will wait till summer or I would have taken you up on it :)

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has replied and apologise for any offence I may have caused.

Had a plumber who changed the thermo.... and still wont stay lit so looks like its the gas valve....hopefully will be sorted by middle of next week

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back