Pilot light won't relight, cleaner added to header tank ...

see my point was: even if we did let air in, and the boiler went to overheat then why didnt the boiler go to overheat weeks ago when the boiler is pumping over continously, due to a probably boiler stat failure? and there is no overheat reset button on this boiler btw either which can be reset.

i am worried about a plumber coming in now due to what you have said.

Sponsored Links
sorry, i know i am annoying... no one answers my question though!!

ok say it was our fault and air did get in ... would this be resolved by draining more water from the system from the drain valve (and thus removing the air)?

Your make of boiler make is essential for us to say. Is the case white with a brown/black looking lower case per chance, describe what you see?

If it is air then no draining further will not help. Like the posts above say it's 99% a over heat stat that has failed and don't worry what caused it, it is fixable.

Sponsored Links
I wouldnt panic just yet! Its quite likely a coincidence here, there may be two seperate problems with your system. As stated the thermocouple could be well passed it sell by date, the wind was enough to cause the pilot light to extinguish and now the thermocouple needs replacing before the boiler will work again. From your own description it sounds long overdue for a service, it needs servicing for safety reasons let alone anything else.

Assuming your Corgi man is able to get the boiler serviced and operational again, I would suggest he investigates the pumping over as a seperate issue. Once the system is operational it can be checked over, any air locks or sludge build up should be identifiable by your engineer and appropriate advice given on any further work necessary. If you keep draining and adding water you may well only increase the problem!

ok thanks for your advice. i will ask him tomorrow. from the info given, it does seem like the boiler stat is sticking and causing the constnt problem and not the sludge afterall. i obviously don't have a blocked cold feed as water drained from the header tank and the rads vented and spurted water at high level.

i wonder how he'll spot a sludge build up or airlock for sure? will be interesting... hope it is the stat and he gets it right 1st time!!

THIS POST IS NOW CLOSED FOR THE NIGHT.

NORMAL SERVICE WILL BE RESUMED TOMORROW AFTER THE ENGINEER HAS VISITED.

[quote pamelaswift wrote]:
why wouldn't the boiler have cut out before and the pilot gone out earlier, a mean weeks ago?

wouldn't the thermocuple and pilot light have gone out weeks ago when the problem started and the overhteaing started?

why didn't the pilot go out weeks ago if in series with the thermcouple?

why did it not go out weeks ago when this boiler thermostat problem started?

wouldnt this over heating have caused the boiler to lock out (and pilot to go out) weeks ago?

why didnt the boiler go to overheat weeks ago when the boiler is pumping over continously, due to a probably boiler stat failure?
Pls could you repeat the question?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back