Pipe For Kitchen Tap Leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The pipe underneath the sink for the kitchen tap is leaking, please see image, if you look carefully you can see a water drop coming out of it around where the leak is. How should I fix this?

20170124_182232.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is it leaking from that connector or is it running down the pipe from the actual tap?

If its the compression fitting and your handy, see if this is something your willing to try (relevant part starts about 1:20):

Well... judging by the sash cord holding up the waste, I'd call a decent plumber :eek:

Doh ! You are right omega015, I think it is actually a connection in the tap above that is leaking, then the water is trickling through the sink top into the cupboard below ;

20170125_085648.jpg

What would be the best way for me to fix this ?

Sponsored Links
If the tap handle feels loose/wobbly then you might just get away with removing the cover and just tightening it up without having to replace discs/washers. But if not and again if your handy then this guide might help you as its likely a disc/washer needs replacing in that handle/tap. http://www.wickes.co.uk/how-to-guides/kitchen-bathroom/fix-leaking-taps One thing to note though is that the water will need turning off, either directly to those taps (if you have an isolating valve under the sink) or by your main stopcock. Then open the taps to drain out the remaining water.

While the water is off and if your confident its probably a good time to undo the whole tap and replace the washer/seal so that no more water can get under the sink, but this might not be easy due to having to undo those compression fittings and having a tool that can undo the tap from under the sink in potentially hard to reach/tight area. So that might be a job for a professional if you feel like you want to resolve that issue (let them fix the handle drip too if your calling them out anyway)

1/4 turn ceramic, the tap shaft O-rings will be worn, they're just held in the body by a circlip so nothing to tighten. They o-rings can be replaced but easier to just replace with a couple of new ceramic valves/reviver kits.

I will just by a new tap I think. But in the meantime, would some silicone sealant around the tap / sink stop the leak temporarily ?

Silicone around the bottom where the tap attaches to the sink will stop it leaking under the sink (if done right) but it will look unsightly and be a pain to remove/clean when you come to change the tap. Trying to silicone the handle leak wont work as you need to be able to still use the handle.

As per @Madrab...
Quickest solution before you get a new tap would be 1/4 tap revivers... £20 and you'll have to put up with different style levers that come with the revivers, unless you're lucky and the existing ones fit on the splines!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back