Pipe in ground under concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've been digging up a flower bed in the garden and found a lump of concrete, this was slightly higher than ground level so we smashed it, in order to level the ground. It now appears that it was hiding a pipe (I guess to close off the pipe)? Any ideas what this is and what we should do?
Complete novice to DIY so appreciate your help :)
28290eb7-1192-4d3e-a907-2bccb5ab38a5

Attachments

• upload_2020-4-23_13-20-15.png
    upload_2020-4-23_13-20-15.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It's a 4 inch vertical stoneware pipe ? - in your front garden near the road ? There will be a manhole nearby - and it's likely an old air inlet:idea:

Thanks for your reply :) I would say diameter is smaller than that, probably not much more than 2 inches. It's in the back garden, our garden is pretty small so nearish the rear of the house. Husband has hit it pretty badly and nothing appears to have come out so possibly not a pipe? The top was bent over in the concrete which is why I thought maybe it was a pipe capped off using the concrete. Now hoping all will be ok to just fill in the hole...

Sponsored Links
I'm hoping it's that innocuous, not sure what was on the land on that spot before but house was a new build in 1996 and it's next to the fence. Hoping it's just something whoever built the house couldn't be bothered to deal with but nothing important! Thanks for your help everyone (y)

OP,
fwiw: Dig back behind the bit of whatever it is - by digging behind you will find if it is a piece of pipe, a connected pipe, or something else that got buried in a bit of ground fill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back