Pipe inserts for copper pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know they’re only meant for plastic pipes, but I’m connecting two push fit valves to two copper pipes, there is no room at all, and my pipe slicer has ever so slightly deformed the end of the copper pipes.

I’m thinking I can get an insert in there which will make the end perfectly round and smooth.

Opinions?

Attachments

• 3330ACAC-CE3E-4E6B-BFCB-F7D8D9D9A06D.jpeg
    3330ACAC-CE3E-4E6B-BFCB-F7D8D9D9A06D.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 325
Sponsored Links
But have you read my reasons?

If so, why wouldn’t it still work fine?
The inserts are only there to strengthen the wall of the PE pipe if you are worried abuot the bore just use a reaming tool, wont make the slightest difference as the fitting will have a smaller bore anyway

Sponsored Links
I think you'll need to remake that cut a bit further down, Alan.....pushfit fittings of any type need a perfect pipe end.
John :)

+1, you need to cut that deformed end off, unlikely you'll make a joint on that with any type of fitting to be honest.

The inserts are only there to strengthen the wall of the PE pipe if you are worried abuot the bore just use a reaming tool, wont make the slightest difference as the fitting will have a smaller bore anyway

I was mainly thinking of using it so it would make the end perfect again

The reamer will only debur the inside won’t it?

What about the very end that’s slightly misshaped? Will that matter with the push fit valve? It looks like it grabs the copper pipe around 10mm from the end of the pipe, so hoping it’s not going to cause a problem being out of round

I think you'll need to remake that cut a bit further down, Alan.....pushfit fittings of any type need a perfect pipe end.

I can’t get in there with my pipe cutter

I think my only option is the Dremel or angle grinder, but fear it will be a sharp/maybe slanted end

An insert will not straighten the pipe out, can you not get a compression straight in there < tighten it up, then remove the fitting , wrap the olive with some PTFE , re-make the fitting and it will be fine

It is possible to reform that pipe end....its called swaging and basically a tapered tool is forced down the pipe to make it round again.
Anyway, there's not enough room to do that or support the pipe.
If the pipe cutter rollers aren't allowed to roll, they deform the pipe like this - and we've all been there!
I think there would be a risk of leakage with the pipe end that we can see. If the cut angle of the pipe isn't exactly 90 degrees then the fitting will probably seal so a dremel / grinder / multitool or whatever should work.
It would be a compression fitting for me, which also helps to round the pipe end.

The inside diameter of plastic pipe is less than that of copper tube, so even if you could get an insert in, it wouldn't have the effect you want as it wouldn't touch the sides.

You might consider getting a professional with a pipe expander in. Should be able to get the 15mm adaptor in and straighten up the pipe. Better still, anneal, expand and solder a new length of 15 mm tube in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back