Pipe size--I am confused !

Oh dear, I might have mis-led you a little here as we are going to have a heat only boiler and not a combi. I didn't mention that...sorry !
And no, Bengasman, I just took 'unbelievable' as shock horror etc, nothing else.

Thanks again all for the really helpful comments.

Brian

Sponsored Links
TROLL ALERT
I really am glad I'm not quoting for your job as you seem to be pedantic to the extreme.

first you posted

"how do i work out what size a replacement boiler should be"

then you came back with

"gas pipe - gas pressure - rendering - joe public confused"

how many more times are you going to post on the same subject??

TROLL ALERT !!!

its a really good idea to have the gas supply pipe in 22mm visable underneath the boiler..
very good practice=all the rest done correctly.

its a really good idea to have the gas supply pipe in 22mm visable underneath the boiler..
What do you base this wisdom on John?
Why would a visible 22 mm pipe under the boiler, which is under the floor connected to 15mm be any good?
How about a 22 mm pipe all the way, connected to an ideal?

Sponsored Links
What do you base this wisdom on John?
Why would a visible 22 mm pipe under the boiler, which is under the floor connected to 15mm be any good?
How about a 22 mm pipe all the way, connected to an ideal?

remember years ago going to a saunier

22 at the boiler to under the floor

22 from the meter to under the floor

WP at boiler 6 mb

under the floor was all in 10 mm :rolleyes:

Just had a quick look, ole John is not a heating engineer.
He is an ex civic.
Say no more.
:rolleyes:

Do we know what size boiler is going in? doesn't seem like it. So how exactly can anyone say what is required??

TROLL ALERT
I really am glad I'm not quoting for your job as you seem to be pedantic to the extreme.

first you posted

"how do i work out what size a replacement boiler should be"

then you came back with

"gas pipe - gas pressure - rendering - joe public confused"

how many more times are you going to post on the same subject??

TROLL ALERT !!!
Nothing sinister at all. If I don't understand or want further information in order to make a decision then i will ask. Isn't that one of the purposes of forums like this ? Any thing wrong in asking related questions ? I didn't realise that there was a limit to the number of questions that I could ask.

Brian

Do we know what size boiler is going in? doesn't seem like it. So how exactly can anyone say what is required??

Simple Mick, small hob, say 7 kw. small boiler, 9 kw. gives a max of 9 equivalent metres in 15. Take off at least 5 bends, leaves 6.5 metres, hoping that every connection is perfectly deburred. Which they won't be.

Simple Mick, small hob, say 7 kw. small boiler, 9 kw. gives a max of 9 equivalent metres in 15. Take off at least 5 bends, leaves 6.5 metres, hoping that every connection is perfectly deburred. Which they won't be.

ok, maybe I didn't make my actual point clear. It basically annoys me that when everyones had a qoute for work on this site, everyone jumps in to criticise and make them out to be incompetent without actually having the facts. Then in the next breath they're criticising for getting too many qoutes, the customers can't win.
Get the facts then give the advice I always find works....as opposed to giving the advice and assuming it matches the facts....

I see what you mean.
Reasons I can think of in random order.
WB vs vaillant fans.
"We have always done it this way" mentality, obviously always combined with: "mine is the only good option".
Part no doubt due to posters who simply can not be bothered to read the stickies at the top of the forum and post inaccurate info.
The "bigdrivelworks"-factor.
Assumptions.
This day and age, my guess would be that envy from those who see their income going down, is or will be a factor.

Nothing sinister at all. If I don't understand or want further information in order to make a decision then i will ask. Isn't that one of the purposes of forums like this ? Any thing wrong in asking related questions ? I didn't realise that there was a limit to the number of questions that I could ask.

Brian

most normal people would allow their gasman to advise them. then maybe ask a few questions! you on the other hand seem to question the expertise of the poor installers unfortunate enough to have been asked to quote.
as I have already said I AM GLAD I HAVE NOT HAD TO QUOTE FOR YOU!!

I supose now that people can chose a fitter from the picture I won't get any more jobs.

A huge amount of gas work before I came a long was done very badly. Your gas supply pipe is the tip of the iceburg.

Some of the idiots who did work to that standard are still around, hence the complete wally who said 15mm was ok. Any chance his phot is of a dinasaur.

You will find this hard to believe but for many years to be corgi registered you just turned up occupied a seat and were passed. When you actually had to prove competent a lot of the olf guard gave up.

With hindsight they were right to do so, but for different reasons.

Objection Mr Baker, tarring all Dinosaurs with the same brush is out of order.

I could teach you and most of the 10 week chancers a thing or two :LOL:

Quite simple mickyg, with a tad of knowledge.

The poster said 8m of pipe, for round figures lets add 8 fittings and make a corrected length of 12m.

Fact, we know 12m of 15mm pipe will deliver 1.3³/h.

And we know 22mm will deliver 3.9³/h

No guesswork, 15mm will be toooooooooooooooooo small

"most normal people would allow their gasman to advise them."
Yes, that is exactly why I used the gassaferegister to get local and gas qualified people to come and see what we have at the moment and what needs to be done to update it.

" then maybe ask a few questions! "
Again that is just what I am doing.

"you on the other hand seem to question the expertise of the poor installers unfortunate enough to have been asked to quote. "
When one installer tells me one thing and the next says the opposite then what alternative is there but to ask for further information. I do try to give all the details but having no expertise in this area it is impossible to know what is relevant or not. I do apologise if this has led to confusion.

"as I have already said I AM GLAD I HAVE NOT HAD TO QUOTE FOR YOU!!"
That is entirely your perogative.

I can see no further point in my carrying on this discussion with Kevindgas as he has his own very differing point of view on my motives/questions. I have no further response to make to him. He , of course, is free to make his comment.

Thank you for all the advice that I have received and for putting up with my lack of knowledge of the workings of the gas boiler and related fittings.
Forums like this do help the non-expert.

Cheers

Brian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back