Pipe Sizing PART2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Remember me?
Well, since you all snuck off :evil: to the 'chamber' to try and get your heads around pipe sizing i have a further development.
As you know i was having grief with my appliances and 'are the pipes big enough or not'.
It looks like Transco have made a further ba**s up!
Originally my meter was, say, 100mm from the first T, with all three appliances branching off in different directions.
So my original A-B was 100mm
By moving the meter and taking the long route Transco have made my A-B 12.6m
I have been told that they have now messed up ALL of my pipe sizing around the house by taking the long route.
My fire WAS pipe sized ok and the cooker WAS well within the limit.
Now it looks like my fire is under and the cooker is 50/50!!
How much more incompetent can these people be??

Sponsored Links
Has the gas man visited then :rolleyes:

If A-B is 28mm or 35mm the boiler and cooker is fine, the fire I hope you rip out, but you would need to upgrade the 10mm to 15mm if you fit anything else in its place.

more for the buffs than anything :LOL:

pipesizing002.jpg

pipesizing001.jpg

Nobody snuck off. It isn't a complicated matter, really!

No, they haven't been yet i am waiting for a supervisor to call.
This installation needs checking properly.
From what i'm told just the leaving me without earth bonding is a big no no let alone not clipping the pipe AND using 22mm leaving me under sized.
This fitter needs to refresh his knowledge or get another job (Tesco's are busy at the mo) :)

Homeserve put the 10mm pipe work in when i had a bog standard radiant gas fire so it looks like yet another botched job by a 'Corgi' fitter, sheesh!!
Another complaint needed.

As for the 'snuck off' thing.
Are you joking?
It isn't a complicated matter?
Did you look at the first thread?
I didn't think it would be a complicated matter but with so many fitters giving so many different answers it obviously is :eek: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
It isn't complicated, far from it as you can see by the pages I posted. What you have is far from a standard domestic installation, you are pushing the meter to it's limit with the cooker.

Chris like myself holds commercial ASC tickets, pipe sizing is therefore more critical. In your case a reasonable diversity can be applied.

Hi do it all.
Hey, don't think i was knocking you guys.
I appreciate the help so far.
If i didn't value your input i would say so and go elsewhere.
It isn't the individuals (apart from the clown who has left me in this mess) i am questioning, it is the way that the regs seem to be able to be interpreted.
You say i am pushing the meter to it's limit.
If they take the short route (3m) and use 28mm pipe will this keep everything within the limits?
Cheers.

No, the meter is able to supply 6m/hr your appliances total 5.5. I think from memory, whatever that is :rolleyes:

So as long as the pipe size is adequate to the first T my supply is ok at the mo but if i were to add anything else i would struggle?

So as long as the pipe size is adequate to the first T my supply is ok at the mo but if i were to add anything else i would struggle?

If you kept everything existing you would need a larger meter to extend your appliances range.

The cooker must be big for the output you quote.

Yeah, it's a range cooker with 8 burner hob and two gas ovens.
It's NEVER used to it's full capacity and when we do the kitchen (hopefully this year) it will go and we will only have a 5 burner hob and electric oven.
So now all i have to do is get Transco round and sort the supply out and Homeserve round to put the supply to the fire right!!
What a peaceful new year i am having thus far :confused: :LOL:

Your pipesizes were once calculated (STOP LAUGHING!!! :LOL: ) based on where the meter was before.
I would demand that the Transco muppe sorry engineers put new pipe in big enough that it couldn't leave undersized pipe anywhere.

Knowing that your load is at the top end for a domestic installation, only one size is appropriate, which is 35mm.

I don't remember any of us disagreeing with each others answers as such, just asking for clarification on the different methods we each use.

I would personally still go with the 35mm I suggested in the original topic.

I am doubtful of the meter actually giving a full 6m3 even though it is supposed to.

Your range must be a small commercial I would think, perhaps not even covered on a domestic ticket :confused:

The pipe work MUST be sized assuming that all appliances are going to be on full all at once.

I am doubtful of the meter actually giving a full 6m3 even though it is supposed to.

Good point. I have has several cases last year where upstream was insufficient, has ng reduced the incoming pressure in London to keep in pace with Thames Water?
Weirdest thing happened before xmas.
I turned a supply off due to low pressure and tofo boys turned it back ON. ??? What will be the next thing, a bird putting rohypnol in MY glass?

The trouble is transco have always done majority of in reruns in normal size houses in 22mm with no workings out and to be honest this was usually good enoufgh as people had normal size cookers and most boilers where on 50,000btu.
But what we have now is majority of people are getting combis at 100,000btu and range cookers that can use twice as much as a standard cooker so even the existing pipework is undersized and it shows up when all appliances on.
Its a case of transco catching up with the times

ChrisR,
Me laugh, ha, never!! :)
You say only one size will do (35mm), if they use the short route, which is only 3m A-B, will 28mm do?
Can they argue the case by saying that 35mm is over doing it?

gas4you,
Range is a Belling Country Chef 100G. Bit sh**te actually but thats what you get for being tight!! ;)

bengasman,
Dream on :LOL:

namsag,
I think you are right. Thing is they should never just assume.
The geezer had to go through the kitchen a thousand times to do the job. He must have sen the cooker.
Anyway, surely after such a major fit he should have tested EVERYTHING??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back