Pipe Sizing PART2

I would just make the point thats it's well undersized and they have put you and the property at risk, and you want it sorted now, if not quicker.

mention you will check and contact Corgi if it's not acceptable, and then stuff the end of the bonding cable in his ear, and ask what he intends to do with it.

Sponsored Links
Trouble is transco no longer have qualification to even open a boiler case let alone adjust it so if the correct working pressure shows at meter thats what they go by one of the anomilies of p[ipe sizing meter can show its ok but appliance asnd real world shows different

Trouble is transco no longer have qualification to even open a boiler case let alone adjust it so if the correct working pressure shows at meter thats what they go by one of the anomilies of p[ipe sizing meter can show its ok but appliance asnd real world shows different

You are wrong namsag, if they work on the consumer side they have to have the same qualifications.

no they dont they only have to have meters. They dont even have proper core its an agreement with corgi

Sponsored Links
Not if they work on the consumer side of the meter, all they can and will do is shut the service off and make safe without the ACS.

Someone on another forum I think said they are connecting the new cooker up, so I think they are branching out.

Sorry DIA you are wrong they are allowed to do reconnection to internals but are not allowed to work on an appliance unless it is purely a relight

The branching out to fit cookers etc was/is an experiment in certain regions and only certain guys have went through ACS and been registered probably less than 1 in 10

ok namsag, i get your point but surely they are not allowed to do work on a property and leave it (potentially) unsafe??
If they have changed the pressure of the supply then they must test that when all appliances are on the working pressures are ok.
Especially, as in this situation, the pipe run has increased by over 300%!!!
To just walk away is leaving a potential lethal situation.
Just like the earth bonding they have left off, he may not have been qualified to put one on but it shouldn't have just been left without one.

I have not said i agree what they have done or wether it is right or wrong i have only told you how they work. This is something you should be taking up with them

In theory TRANSCO (NG) responsibility, ends at the ECV. If you call them out for a pressure problem or whatever and the customer is with a gas billing company that has not got a contract with NG they will just turn off, disc, make safe and f off until gas provider agrees to pay them for the visit :rolleyes:

Well, National Grid have returned.
The manager that called agreed that the pipe should have been clipped.
He also agreed that the earth bond should have been sorted, he is sending an electrician.
He went away to do calculations and rang later to tell me that it was 'only just too small' I said that was not the opinion of others, i told him that my cooker used over 20kwh on full and he then said that this would make a difference.
Why not check these things??
Anyway, another engineer called, drilled a hole outside, drilled a hole under the stairs and within 20 mins the pipe was through.
6.5m of 28mm (including fittings) fitted in half the time that the other idiot took to make a hash of things!!
Very neat job.........except,

1. I don't see the sleeve? I am told that the 1.2m piece going through the walls and under the stairs should be sleeved in a continuous run of 35mm pipe and i should be able to see both ends with the outside end left open and the inside end sealed??

2. He has pointed round the pipe both outside and in, with compo.
I am told that cement corrodes copper and it should be a proper sealant??

Cheers.

Indeed it has to be sleeved through any wall, and one end sealed with mastic. The sleeve itself will be sealed to the wall both sides.

Looks like you need to dig around the pipe

Hi do it all.
I'm wondering if it is there at all.
I thought it was supposed to stick out a few mm so it couldn't be accidentally sealed?
What about cement corroding the pipe?
Cheers

Cement will definitely corrode copper especially in an damp environment.

If you can't see the sleeve there's a good chance it hasn't got one, but ou need to dig away the cement to find out.

If it hasn't I expect you to create merry hell, totally unacceptable.

I have dug.
There appears to be something, but it isn't copper pipe like i was told it would be by NG, on the outside it is about an inch in the brick and was pointed up with compo and on the inside it is about an inch in the wall and was pointed up with compo. Neither end sticking out to allow for any leakage that may occur!
By the size of the drill holes i don't see how they could have got a sleeve in there but i could be wrong.
If, as i'm told, the outside of the sleeve should be sealed to the wall, i don't know how they can do this if the pipe is inaccessible?
Problem being, without having x-ray vision i don't know what they have/haven't done.

The pipe has to be sleeved, flush or slightly proud of the finish/face. Its purpose is to take a gas leak away from any cavity at the same time protect the pipe from corrosive materials.

On the the phone to the man again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back