Pipes bang when turning taps off.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Not sure if anyone can help me on this one.
We recently had our bathroom re-fitted, and ever since it was done there has been a banging noise in the pipes somehwere in the house whenever a tap has been turned off.
There is no noise at all when using the taps, but as soon as the flow is stopped there is a kind of double-knocking sound somewhere in the pipes. This happens when any tap in the house is used, and even after the toilet has re-filled, or when the dishwasher is on - basically whenever there has been some water flow in the house.
It also doesn't matter where the water is flowing, the noise always appears to come from the same place.
I tried locating the sound and placing wedges around the pipes, but to no avail.
The guy who fitted the bathroom has no idea what it is - does anyone know what this might be and how we could fix it easily?

Thanks in advance
Dave

Sponsored Links
apologies for answering my own question....
I have just been searching on the internet and culd the problem I describe be "water-hammer"???
If so it seems a good solution is to turn the main stop cock down a touch - I'll try this tonight.
Dave

Hi
Thanks for the reply - although we have a combi-boiler and don't have a loft cistern.

Dave

Sponsored Links
The guy cant be a plumber son if he doesnt know what is causing it.Would get the rest of his work checked out if i were you. :oops:

This is true - although to be fair, he was cheap as chips and actually did a cracking job of the rest of it!

No real surprise; I know cheap plumbers and good plumbers but no good cheap plumbers.
Definitely water hammer. Remedy is simple and cheap. Clip hot and cold water pipes where-ever they are not supported for more than 2 meters. Especially in basement or in crawl space where the pipe comes from stop cock. As someone else mentioned; if your so called plumber had no idea, get the rest checked. It is one of the most basic things in plumbing. Very easy to find as well. When you find a length of unsupported pipe, have someone turn a tap on and off. You can see the pipe move when the tap closes. I remember one case where I saw the pipe move nearly 10 centimeters. Or about 4 inches in old money.

Just tried turing the stop-cock a little to reduce the pressure slightly, and hey-presto, no banging. I can't believeit was so simple (and I can't believe our "plumber" didn't know about it - but anyway...).
Thanks for all your suggestions though.
Dave

cnt belive your so called plumber couldent tell u that any plumber that has half a clue would know that was water hammer and the first and most simple remidy to try was to turn presure down a bit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back