PIR ceiling sensors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking of putting a PIR sensor in ceiling of a new small 1.5m x 1.1m W/C to switch on the light and fan.

Are these sensors susceptible to accidentally coming on because of a radiator heating up the area or because someone outside the obscured window, walks past? Are the sensors quite sensitive?

Sponsored Links
I was thinking of putting a PIR sensor in ceiling of a new small 1.5m x 1.1m W/C to switch on the light and fan.
It's your choice - but, be warned that, if you do, it might fairly quickly drive you mad!
Are these sensors susceptible to accidentally coming on because of a radiator heating up the area or because someone outside the obscured window, walks past? Are the sensors quite sensitive?
Not particularly, the problem is primarily the opposite - that people underestimate how long they can remain fairly still in places like loos, and therefore keep on getting 'plunged into darkness'!

Kind Regards, John

Yes that is my worry and I suffer that when staying back late in the office. Have to act like an ape to get the the lights to come on again.

Builder is trying to convince me to put this in rather than a switch!

Yes that is my worry and I suffer that when staying back late in the office. Have to act like an ape to get the the lights to come on again.
Eaxctly.
Builder is trying to convince me to put this in rather than a switch!
... but he/she will not have to live with it! My inclination is to suggest that you should probably pay attention to your 'worries'!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I went to a concert at York Opera House, the loos were in the basement, I used a cubicle for some contemplation and was plunged into darkness, I had to feel my way out and found the PIR was in the outer vestibule

Yup, sounds really *hitty. You should have also told them they were taking the *iss by installing those in a toilet.

I fitted a PIR in my understairs WC and I have yet to suffer it cutting out whilst sitting on the throne.

I did have one cut out in a service station loo whilst in a cubicle leaving me in total darkness. The time delay on it had been set very short and was not possible to re-trigger with there being no line of sight to the sensor. I was not impressed!

I get the impression that there is somewhat of a consensus agreement with what I wrote in the first response to the OP in this thread :)

Kind Regards, John

Probably the sensor is best positioned immediately above the toilet since it is a small 1.5m by 1.1m W/C. I wasnt sure if it picked up people walking by a small window.

Movement behind window shouldnt be an issue if its closed. PIR wont work through glass.

Also bear in mind a PIR sensor consumes electricity 24/7, probably cost several £ a year even if never switches on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back