PIR code for bathroom lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone tell me what PIR code you would give for 240v spotlight's in a bathroom with no RCD protection? (done to 16th ed.)
None of the spotlights are in zone 1, whom ever installed them placed them just outside the line of the bath. I was thinking of a code 2. but reading up you could possibly put a code 4?

Also, would you give a code 4 for an unaccesible earth clamp on the water pipes. resistance measured to be 34 milli ohms on the pipe rigth next to the stop cock. so i take it it must be done but cant get access to it.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Code 4 if they complied with the 16th edn i.e. suitable for their location and necessary supplementary bonding in place.
As for PEBs, did you disconnect the water PEB from the MET and measure from that to the remote point?

I never do PIRs, its definately something Id like to start doing...

Do you fancy uploading yours so I can have a look? ;)

Hi To be honest, no i never removed the water PEB. I left it conected to the MET and measured of there.
I suppose this only tells me if the pipe is sufficiently earthed and may not prove there is bonding?? But if the value was as low as i got and the earth bond was not there then does that mean I wouldnt need one regardless?
Argh!! you have me thinking now!

Sponsored Links
I'd wonder if - even though you measured a low value - wether or not you can guarentee it is secure i.e. if someone bodges in some of that awful plastic pipework you could lose the bond.

but i guess if soemone comes in the future and does work on the water pipes then it would be there responsibility to ensure that the bonding was sufficient?
If I wrote on the PIR that it was a code 4 and could get a reading off 34mA then that covers me :eek:)

Hi To be honest, no i never removed the water PEB. I left it conected to the MET and measured of there.
I suppose this only tells me if the pipe is sufficiently earthed and may not prove there is bonding?? But if the value was as low as i got and the earth bond was not there then does that mean I wouldnt need one regardless?
Argh!! you have me thinking now!

Am I the only one to be concerned that the author of this post is carrying out Periodic Inspections?

This is a job for an expert, not your average electrician.
Somebody competent to carry out Periodic Inspections should definitely not be asking a question like this.

Code 3 for me if I can't actually get to the bond when I strongly suspect it is present.

Edit: hey dingbat... now theres a name I have only recently started seeing on the forum again after a long break.....

yeah i like the sound of the code 3, even though i have been taught that you very rarely ever use a code 3 as you should always be able to come to a conclusion to what is up with the installation.
On this occurence, it appears that the earth bond is there as I see it leaving the MET and under the floor and the tests prove there is a sufficient earth there, but it does not prove that the actual earth bond is attached securely. I can only do this by ripping out the boxed section.

and to respond to mr dingbat, I feel confident in my ability to carry out a PIR and therefore will continue to do so!!! I can test everything in a domestic installation and treat all my work as if it was to my own property and thererfore can easily sleep at night!

Just because i ask an opinion does not mean am I wrong or not an "expert"

Thanks you :LOL:

and to respond to mr dingbat, I feel confident in my ability to carry out a PIR and therefore will continue to do so!!!

You and many others.

However, the use of incorrect terminology and a demonstrable blurring of your grasp of the differences between earthing and bonding are common indicators of a lower level of competence than your confidence suggests.

Fortunately, this is well documented and there is a cure:

Have read and a think.

http://blog.bruceabernethy.com/post/Unskilled-and-Unaware-of-It.aspx

I spent all last weekend going over a large company's PIR forms... [that is, reports they had issued]

...oh boy. :rolleyes:

But at least I was being paid for my advice that time!

and to respond to mr dingbat, I feel confident in my ability to carry out a PIR and therefore will continue to do so!!!

I'm sure you do.

Post a copy of one of your PIR's to prove Dingbat wrong!

Gary I am a bit thick, so can you tell me how it the OP does what you say it will prove dingbat wrong if he has not seen the install....hold on brain waking up..is it something to do with wrong codes against observations.

Go on publish and be dammed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back