PIR Halogen external fllodlight.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all..

I have just purchased a 500watt PIR halogen floodlight. My question is what's the best and easy way of wiring this... to the mains or light circuit? Which ever is the best any diagrams available?
I must also add that INDOORS about 2 metres away from where the floodlight will be positioned outside, there's is a fused (with red light) switch, this supplys the power to the garage. Would this be of any use?

Cheers

Andy

[/b]

Sponsored Links
I hope you wont be upsetting your neighbours with that HUGE 500W lamp. Its now or shortly will be an offence and comes with a hefty fine ;)

nstreet said:
I hope you wont be upsetting your neighbours with that HUGE 500W lamp. Its now or shortly will be an offence and comes with a hefty fine ;)

oh??? do go on . . . .

No worries there... Although it is outside, the light is postioned within an alcove and will point more towards the floor basically iluminating our back door entrance which is again in the alcove part!
Thanks for your concern anyway.

Sponsored Links
I personally would consider putting in a 100W lamp, especially as the area is small, it will save on the leccy bill in the long run. If its PIR controlled many of these get false triggers on windy nights and by cats etc and you would be surpised at how much juice they consume in a year.

Just for crafty1289, http://home.freeuk.com/m.gavin/uknite.htm

Many thanks for all your comments(I'll be changing to a 150watt tomorrow) but it will please me and a few other people that may have the same problem as I, about installing a external light. If we can get a solution about my first question?
And yep, it is a PIR light. cheers andy

Could go 300w M8 if it was me as this would give just about the rigt light for somthink like you wont.

I put a 300w in sort of the same place as you are saying you wont and it was spot on m8.

You may find 150 not that bright for whot you need have a look at the 300w.

securespark said:
If you're feeling righteous, use a CFL floodlight....
i wouldn't really consider pir+cfl and acceptable setup too much startup time and frequent switching kills flourescent bulbs.

and i'm not at all convinced that a high efficiancy light on dusk to dawn will use less power than a lower efficiancy light that operates on demand.

the only high efficiancy lighting technology i know of that doesn't mind frequent switcing is LEDs but using them for lighting (rather than as indicators) is still a relatively new thing and i'm not convinced they really have all the issues worked out yet (the main problem they seem to have is gettting enough output in an acceptable sized package)

PartyCan said:
Could go 300w M8 if it was me as this would give just about the rigt light for somthink like you wont.

I put a 300w in sort of the same place as you are saying you wont and it was spot on m8.

You may find 150 not that bright for whot you need have a look at the 300w.
I'm not trying to be an arsehole here, but this forum is not a mobile phone or a text to voice translator!!! "somthink?" I stopped speaking like that when i was 8, and i have never written like that.
"whot" is actually spelt "what".
"Wont" is used in the context "he wont do it". I expect you meant "want".
M8 is a screw/bolt size, mate is alternative for friend. This one could get confusing on a DIY forum.

And CFLs are good where you want a long-duration light. But then you might as well have a sodium light, unless you enjoy being in the dark ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back