PIR LIGHTS HELP NEEDED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just replaced two half lantern wall lights the old ones started playing up they were dusk to dawn with adjustable settings, they had seems to work fine before.

I swapped them for two of the same shape but just PIR with noway to adjust settings.

Light no1 had two brown wires and two blue wires together and earth which I connected to the wired light block which had wires going to the bulb and pir.

Light no 2 had single Blue,Brown,Earth which I connected to the pre wired cable block inside the light.

I wired them exactly how my last ones were wired in the cable blocks and waited till it was dark to test, I walked out and light one instantly lit up, I went to light two waved hands over it and nothing.

After a few mins light one went out I then tested light two this worked but same thing light one would not then activate.

So basically the lights both have power, both work, but only one at a time comes on and seems to disable the other.

Any ideas if ive done something wrong.

Sponsored Links
Light 1 activates.
Light 2 now sees that light and won't turn on because it's not dark.
Light 1 goes off, light 2 now works, light 1 does not.
Repeat until bored.

So is that whats supposed to happen then? the lights are about 10ft apart

Yep your right its the light disabling the other, I covered one up and the other instantly activated so both were on, is there anyway to make them less sensitive to the light maybe even changing bulbs from clear to frosted would help.

Sponsored Links
Lower power bulbs might help, or shading the sensor.
Depending on how they are wired it may be possible to change them so that one of the sensors activates both lights.

Some PIR lights come with some lumps of plastic that can section off part of the sensor.

If you haven't got these, you could experiment with some black insulating tape perhaps.

Some PIR lights come with some lumps of plastic that can section off part of the sensor.

If you haven't got these, you could experiment with some black insulating tape perhaps.
surey thats just for the pir sensor, the light sensor is located elsewhere, sheilding the light sensor would possibly have a downside of the light working during daylight

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back