pir lights seems to be staying on permanently.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have two pir-activated lights attached to the garaging at the end of my garden... for some odd reason, they now appear to be on 24/7 even though i don't think i have touched any switches.

any idea why this might have happened?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Are you sure no switches have been disturbed, for example a switched over-ride?
Is the PIR sensor integral to the lights or a separate unit into which the lights are wired?
The last time mine refused to go off the internal electronics were kaput, and I had to change the PIR unit itself – no biggy, around £10.
There are other possibilities, but if you’ve not touched anything suspect PIR failure.
Sometimes switching them off for a while re-sets the internal electronics.

turn the time down as low as it goes and see what happens, then cover the pir with something like cardboard, if it still stays on then there obviously a fault.

on some units you can get them to stay on by quickly turning them on and off (or is it off and on). Maybe someone has done that? I think you just do the same again to put them back to normal, or maybe just kill the power to it for a while so it resets itself.

Sponsored Links
Most PIR light have a built in system that if you turn them off then on within 3 seconds, they will stay on for you. This is OK if you have wired them to a switch but a pain if they are mains wired. If they are connected to the mains you will have to turn the power off and leave for 30 seconds give or take and turn back on. They will now be reset but will come on initially and then go out and work normally.

thanks guys... that does seem to make sense to me...

will give it a go tonight...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back