PIR recommendations for LED lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

I've been looking to replace my outside pir and lights (currently a standard bayonet filament light in an enclosure) and PIR (taken off a flood light) which is no longer working - I think its staying on regardless of the switch inside on or off (so i assume water ingress).

I was thinking of using LED rope light outside along the top of the porch pointing down (the use of the light is really to identify the step leading to the front door and also to provide enough light outside to be able to see who is standing there from inside the porch not light up the whole drive, street and neighbors house). The light i've seen uses 36W total for 2.5m, and i have seen a suitably rated transformer/driver for led lights, but can not seem to find a PIR which states that it is for outdoor use but can switch low loads. Most that i find are already attached to LED flood lights or are rated with a MAX wattage but no mention of a min.

is anyone able to recommend me any suitable PIR's? I'm happy to order from any UK based online seller, or standard shops (screw fix, tool station, wicks etc). Alternatively, the suitable words i can use to search for in google will also suffice!

Sponsored Links
All the PIR lights I've seen just switch a relay, so shouldn't have a minimum load.

Using the search term 'External Mains Security Pirs' seems to work on most sites for me.

Most have a max load not a minimum as they are simply activating a relay so min load isnt an issue. TLC has some good ones.

Sponsored Links
So a normal PIR should be ok to run the 36w transformer? (the output is indeed 12v)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back