PIR testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is anyone able to detail what tests are performed in a PIR, or have a link to some more info?

eg earth loop impedance testing

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It would be hell of a post to cover everything, so, a very quick run through, Ze, PSSC, PFC at the consumer unit, R1+R2 of each circuit, insulation resistance of either each circuit individually or the whole installation in one go, ring circuit continuity for any ring circuits, then max Zs for each circuit, plus of course checking for main bonding, labelling, correct protective devices, testing of any RCDs (7 tests for each), these aren't in the right order, think that's about it though!

that's the checking for labelling, correct protective devices bonding etc bit though, far too big a subject to cover in a post, and of course, PAT testing of the kettle is a must, including functional testing!! :LOL:

It the bit where you gasp and suck air in through your teeth and say that isn't right! Those live cables shouldn't be poking out of the wall, there shouldn't be holes in those accessories, cables are meant to go inside the conduit, that looks rusty, normal sockets aren't suitable for outdoors, you are meant to have fuse wire in fuse holders etc etc etc.

Had one today trying to figure out why part of an industrial site was without power, looks like the birds nest on top of the fused isolator had gotten in, bird poop and water got into the isolator and it exploded into flames, took out the 315A fuses in the switchroom upstream. Nice mess for someone to sort on monday - not me though :D

my usuall one is "which dopey t##t did this?, only to find it was the customer :LOL:
Which part of Cumbria are you from?
I'm at Ulverston

It would be hell of a post to cover everything, so, a very quick run through, Ze, PSSC, PFC at the consumer unit, R1+R2 of each circuit, insulation resistance of either each circuit individually or the whole installation in one go, ring circuit continuity for any ring circuits, then max Zs for each circuit, plus of course checking for main bonding, labelling, correct protective devices, testing of any RCDs (7 tests for each), these aren't in the right order, think that's about it though!
I would love to know how you carry out some of the above tests without dismantling the installation - which you should not do when carrying out a Periodic Inspection and Report.

my usuall one is "which dopey t##t did this?, only to find it was the customer :LOL:
Which part of Cumbria are you from?
I'm at Ulverston

Are you in denial - everyone from Ulverston says it is in Lancashire :LOL:
I'm from Millom but don't work for myself thankfully!
I love saying that too - which muppet is responsible for that!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back