PIR to control bathroom fan - is this possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Soon I will be installing a bathroom In-Line Duct Ceiling Fan with Timer - voltage 220-240V

I have read that it needs to have an accessible fused connection.

MY QUESTION

To save having a pull switch or an outside the room switch, is it feasible/possible to connect
a PIR, so that whenever someone enters the bathroom - regardless if the lights are switched on
or not - the fan switches on automatically, and uses the built in fan timer.

Trying to get the family to remember to use a fan manually is a problem.

This PIR would be fitted someway into ZONE 3.

If it is possible can you direct me to a wiring diagram.

I was thinking of something like this from Maplin;

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Outdoor PIR Light Control Device - Specifications;

Detection method: Passive infra-red
Power requirements: 230Vac 50Hz
Standby current: 30mA (max.)
Operating current: 35mA (max.)
Lighting load: 1100W (max.) incandescent
500W (max.) fluorescent
Detection range: 12m min. at 20 C
Detection angle: 180
Adjustable angle: Vertical 180
Lux level: 0 to 1000 lux
Housing design: Water resistant
Lamp-on time: 5 secs ±3 to 12 mins ±3
500W (max.) fluorescent

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Many thanks in advance.

Stephen

Sponsored Links
Thanks Taylortwocities, that's excellent - exactly what I need.

Just as a side issue - will a fan with timer act like say an outdoor flood light - that is to say,
once the PIR has started the fan, and the fan timer is say set for an hour - will any other detection
from the PIR effect the fan?

I cannot see that happening - but it would be reassuring to know that this would not be the case.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Just as a side issue - will a fan with timer act like say an outdoor flood light - that is to say,
once the PIR has started the fan, and the fan timer is say set for an hour - will any other detection from the PIR effect the fan?

With something like the PIR above there's no need for a timer fan, as the PIR detector has an integral timer. Set it to, say, 15 minutes and then fan will run for 15 minutes after the last movement is detected. So if somebody is in the bathroom and moving around for half an hour, the fan will keep running all that time and switch off 15 minutes after he leaves.

But if you did link the PIR to a fan which also has its own integral timer, then you'd end up combining the two time periods. For example, if the PIR sensor was set for 10 minutes and the timer on the fan set for 15 minutes, then the fan would switch off only after 25 minutes of no movement being detected.

I have read that it needs to have an accessible fused connection.
Which it will still need.

And a 3-pole isolator.

If it is possible can you direct me to a wiring diagram.
If you need a wiring diagram to install a PIR, do you think you know enough about all of the installation and testing requirements for this job to be able to comply with P1, and to be able to convince your Building Control department that you'll be able to comply, when you submit your request to them to approve your plan to do this work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back