PIR to Non PIR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps,

I have PIR outside light working fine, I want the light when activated to switch on a non PIR light or lights. Do I take a cable from the PIR light and go to the non PIR end of line light (so would mean there are 2 cables in the PIR)?

If so, could I piggy back onto other non PIR lights from the first non PIR?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
if its the old style with accesible wires usually brown blue and red then you likely can, though you are limited if adding more than 1 light as the pir may not cope with the higher load wattage

if its the old style with accesible wires usually brown blue and red then you likely can, though you are limited if adding more than 1 light as the pir may not cope with the higher load wattage
Indeed - and, as if said before if it happens to be an 'integrated' LED PIR, it's unlikely to have the ability to switch any external loads (i.e. the PIR probably doesn't switch 230V at all).

Kind Regards, John

Thanks lads,
I will try and come out of the PIR and go to just the one and see if it fires up, if no luck I am assuming I need to buy a 240v PIR then feed from that.

Sponsored Links
... if no luck I am assuming I need to buy a 240v PIR then feed from that.
As I wrote, if it comes to that, be sure not to buy one with an 'integrated' LED lamp/bulb (i.e. one is which the LED lamp/bulb is not replaceable). You would probably need to get one with replaceable 230V lamps/bulbs (be they LED or otherwise) and, even then, you would need to check that a (PIR-switched) output for feeding other lights was available. Ones like you would need should be identifiable by the fact that they ought to say what maximum total power of 'additional loads/lights' can be controlled by the PIR.

Kind Regards, John

Or if the existing light doesn't owe you anything, buy a decent standalone PIR (e.g. Steinel), some new lights, and start from scratch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back