Pirated OS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Let say, purely as a hypothetical, one of my friends knew someone who asked them to ask me to post here, that they were using a pirated version of XP Professional SP2, and when they did automatic updates, they then got a T&C box that came up including lots of stuff about not installing it if they have ripped-off OS software installed....

Would anything bad happen if they hit accept, or should they just live without updates ?

Sponsored Links
I'm sure I was told that if you don't register it within 30 days (for which you need the registration key number) then it stops working.

Incidentally, I've re-registered mine a couple of times after disk failures and rebuilds, I don't know if Bill can tell it's me re-using the same key, and not three different people using the same one.

JohnD said:
Incidentally, I've re-registered mine a couple of times after disk failures and rebuilds, I don't know if Bill can tell it's me re-using the same key, and not three different people using the same one.
I never thought of that, I'm also on my third install with no problems. I wonder if the registration sends details of the PC itself so it knows it's just been re-installed on the same machine?

Anyhoo, the CD I have, which came with the computer, is XP SP1, and after the last re-format picked up the SP2 update after about an hour and installed it with no problems.

Johnny - why not just back up your data and give it a try? Worst case scenario is that you'll have to re-install SP1 and copy your files and progs back across...

ninebob said:
Johnny - why not just back up your data and give it a try? Worst case scenario is that you'll have to re-install SP1 and copy your files and progs back across...

My friend's, ninebob, my friend's remember.....

The scenario is that my friend just had to significantly rebuild his eMachine, similar to my problem last week, and the restore disk that came bundled with the machine were for use on an eMachine only. And seeing as he had a new motherboard and processor, there was nothing doing and he had to load on the pirated OS instead.

Sponsored Links
There are many 'flavours' of XP available and it would depend upon which one you have.

The OEM version has an activation limit and the license code will expire after a certain number of installs. You then need to contact MS for a new code, which they appear more than happy to supply and don't ask too many awkward questions (In my experience). The license is intended for use on ONE machine only. I.E. If you scrap the machine it is installed on, you are not permitted to install it on your new machine. Support is not provided my MS, but by the supplier.

The retail version has no activation limit and can be moved to another machine as long as it is only in use on one machine at a time. MS provide (limited) free support for this version.

The corporate version does not require activation and can therefore (generally) be used on as many machines as required. MS provide (expensive) support.

Corporate version? I was once having the PC menders at work rebuild my machine, the installation disk accidentally fell into my briefcase and I didn't notice and hand it back until the next day. Overnight it accidentally fell into my CD reader at home, and unfortunately I had a blank disk in the CD writer.

Igorian said:
The license is intended for use on ONE machine only. I.E. If you scrap the machine it is installed on, you are not permitted to install it on your new machine. .......

I guess this is really at the heart of my situation (and a debate I used to have about 25 years ago re: BMXs too) - Given the way in which you can upgrade computers and swap bits out, when does a machine stop being the original machine and start being a new one. If you swap motheboards, have you merely upgraded or repaired the original machine, or have you built a new machine, re-using some parts where possible ?

The XP installation allows for a certain number of upgrades, but even if you have to get a new number from MS, they generally don't ask too many questions. In fact, if you need a new number, more often than not, the process is automated and you won't have to talk to anyone (try out of hours!).

As previously mentioned, give it a try and see what happens.

Microsofty 'aint all that bad really :eek:

Their attitude to pirated OS's, [at the moment anyway], is that they'd rather the people using it are able to access the Windows Update site and download Critical Updates.

At least they are then surfing the web, [and coming into contact with bona fide users], with as secure an OS as is feasible.

I'm running Nemesis 2, [XP Pro with SP2 & Office 2003 on one CD], and am able to use the Windows Automatic Update feature to get all the Critical Updates Microsoft are kind enough to send me.

Thanks again for that Uncle Bill :p :p

The rights and wrongs of pirated OS's can be debated forever ;) ;)

We all have choices :p

Homer

Igorian said:
The XP installation allows for a certain number of upgrades, but even if you have to get a new number from MS, they generally don't ask too many questions. In fact, if you need a new number, more often than not, the process is automated and you won't have to talk to anyone (try out of hours!).

As previously mentioned, give it a try and see what happens.
Works 4 me, I've installed the same XP home disc on 3 pc's.

From what I know, you can still download the 'windows-updates' (security patches etc) But if you manually go on to the microsoft site and try to download certain software that is normally free, they ask for you to authenticate your copy.

MOD

please see rule 7

your pic has been removed

vivalefrench said:
From what I know, you can still download the 'windows-updates' (security patches etc) But if you manually go on to the microsoft site and try to download certain software that is normally free, they ask for you to authenticate your copy.

Wait for the wrath of the mods :LOL:

Igorian said:
vivalefrench said:

What I said isnt illegal if thats what you mean. Microsoft announced that even though they were trialing new techniques to counter pirated copies of their software, they would still allow users to download the latest security patches. BUT if you would like to download a program e.g. Journal Viewer (to allow you to scribe in msn messenger) You would need to prove the authenticiy of your windows installation (online check)

p.s sorry about the sig. Didnt bother reading the rules until now. Thats quite a strict rule isnt it?

vivalefrench said:
Igorian said:
vivalefrench said:

What I said isnt illegal if thats what you mean. Microsoft announced that even though they were trialing new techniques to counter pirated copies of their software, they would still allow users to download the latest security patches. BUT if you would like to download a program e.g. Journal Viewer (to allow you to scribe in msn messenger) You would need to prove the authenticiy of your windows installation (online check)

p.s sorry about the sig. Didnt bother reading the rules until now. Thats quite a strict rule isnt it?

It was your sig. I was referring to. Welcome to the forum. :D

Sponsored Links
Back