Pitch roof advice please :o)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Am after some advice...... please dont shot me down in flames for what may be a silly question. I'm a complete noob to these types of things and after getting varying answers from builders i.e "yeah, we can do that....", "nah, thats impossible mate", " I think we can do it, will need a second opinion" yada yada yada

We are looking to extend over an existing garage thats and odd shape (due to boundaries) and with planning conditions etc it would need to be a pitch roof to match existing.

Can anyone please give me a steer on if its possible to put a pitch roof on the footprint shown below. Its wider at the front than the back. The small line indicates the approx position of the ridge line.

Any advice/ideas greatly apprciated!

upload_2016-12-29_10-39-0.png

Thanks in advance

Chris

Sponsored Links
This exact question (and shape iirc) was posted either here or on the planning/ regulation forum previously. Do a search.

Yes it's possible, with either hips or sloped eaves depending on the roof covering

Hi, I've had a good look but can find the post your reffering too. Please could u point me in the right direction??

Thanks in advance

Chris

Sponsored Links
All the water run-off on the narrower side will spill down the wall unless measures are taken, design wise.

yes it can be done easily enough structurally.
roof covering verge details need some ingenuity

Try this

One option is a conventional roof and a flat section to deal with the irregular shape. Properly designed, the flat roof is hardly visible from the neighbours side

g 1.jpg

The other option is a complete pitch and the eaves are raised to deal with the irregular shape

g 2.jpg

The effect will differ depending on the dimensions of the garage and the roof angle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back