Pitched roof on to sectional concrete garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

This is my first post so please be gentle!

I have moved to a house with a sectional concrete garage or around 19ft by 9ft, which has a flat roof made from what looks like fiber based corrugated material. It is in ok condition but will prob need repairing in next year. I am considering, if it is possible, to replace flat roof with a pitched one, with a suitable light weight roofing material (I'm guessing tiles will be too heavy?).

Can anyone tell me if this is likely to be a feasible proposition, and factors I may need to consider in addition. I have also thought it would be useful to increase the height of vertical wall by around 8 inches on top of the concrete, would this be possible, using suitable frames, with triangulation in corners?

regards

Andy

Sponsored Links
noseall said:
i think Masona will be able to answer this one. ;)
Don't I ever get a day off, you lazy git :LOL:

abbadon said:
I have moved to a house with a sectional concrete garage or around 19ft by 9ft,
Is it a pre-cast panels with nuts n bolts? (The panel are normally about 400mm to 500mm wide and about 1.8m high) or is it concrete post with concrete boards slotted in between the post?
I am considering, if it is possible, to replace flat roof with a pitched one, with a suitable light weight roofing material (I'm guessing tiles will be too heavy?).
Many type of light roofing products out there, rubber roofing tiles strip which is from recycle tyres, the popular one for me is the Verasteel sheet which is tiles effect on metal sheet.
Can anyone tell me if this is likely to be a feasible proposition, and factors I may need to consider in addition. I have also thought it would be useful to increase the height of vertical wall by around 8 inches on top of the concrete, would this be possible, using suitable frames, with triangulation in corners?
Anything is possible, I need to know what you have on top of the wall panels, can you nut/bolt a wallplate on top using the hole in the centre of the panel?

masona,

the garage is the type with panels bolted together. Currently the roof is flat with a fall from front to back of around 8 inches i reckon total.

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/3666/dsc00121aa8.jpg

the roof is supported on a series of metal cross pieces, which are rectangular and sit on their sides vertically , with the roof hooked on to them.

regards

Andy

Sponsored Links
abbadon said:
I have also thought it would be useful to increase the height of vertical wall by around 8 inches on top of the concrete, would this be possible, using suitable frames, with triangulation in corners?
Any reason you need to increase the height at 8", you will have plenty of head height with the pitch roof.
I'm a bit busy tonight, I shall explain what to do tomorrow, have a quick read here to give you some idea on light roofing system, the summerhouse is the same as yours but covered it with log cladding.

The increase in height would be to give a bit more room to hang stuff from the joists/horizontals, possibly a whole wooden body from a Morgan.... hence more headroom is a bonus!

abbadon said:
I have also thought it would be useful to increase the height of vertical wall by around 8 inches on top of the concrete, would this be possible,
It is possible but I'm trying to think what it will look like, do a timber frame and maybe covered with cladding on the 8" height?

Don't know how you are in carpentry, if you can make roof trusses or better still have it made up as gang nail trusses, wouldn't cost a lot

maximum height for a flat roof is 3m or 4m for a pitch roof.

See this to give some idea of tiles metal sheet (available in 6 colours), it is pre-cast slabs as some as yours and I covered it with log cladding

Could you elaborate on the terms used in your last message. My carpentry is ok, but my use of it with building is limited, more the small scale stuff up to now.

Is that 4m for the peak of a pitched roof?

Also what options do I have for getting in to the roof space, or should I write it off as accessible and just use it to pop things up in to?

Andy

abbadon said:
Is that 4m for the peak of a pitched roof?
Yes but do check with your local BCO over the phone.
Also what options do I have for getting in to the roof space, or should I write it off as accessible and just use it to pop things up in to?
It can be either depending if it's enough room for what you want to do and how which way you do the pitch roof.

Hi,
I know this is a very old post but what did you decide in the end? I have an identical garage that I'm widening by 5 feet. I will end up putting a pitched roof on it as I want to use the space for storage. It will be a workspace for my car. Any info will be helpful.

Kevin

masona,

the garage is the type with panels bolted together. Currently the roof is flat with a fall from front to back of around 8 inches i reckon total.

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/3666/dsc00121aa8.jpg

the roof is supported on a series of metal cross pieces, which are rectangular and sit on their sides vertically , with the roof hooked on to them.

regards

Andy

Hi Kevin, did you get sorted in the end? I am planning to exactly the same as this post and was wondering if anyone had carried it out and how easy it will be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back