pitched roof skylights, thermal and opening options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The rear extension project has finally moved on, which reminds me that I have to update some of my old threads!

For now, I am we are at the point of putting up the side walls and soon the roof frame will be taking shape in a week or two. The contractor has asked me to order the skylights for the carpenters to use for accurate measurements, check the weight for lifting etc.

To recap on a few things, the extension is 4m to the rear for a semi-detached house. The ceiling will be vaulted with a pitch of 15 degrees. I have chosen two fixed portrait skylights suitable for this pitch at 1m x 2m from these guys who seem to have good reviews in general:

Luxlite

https://roof-maker.co.uk/rooflights/luxlite-pitched-rooflights/

They come with triple glazing as a standard and a thermal U-Value of 0.6w/m2k.

The main issue is deciding whether we need one of them to be opening type rather than fixed. That is in case there is smoke or anything else trapped in the ceiling. To add, the extension will have lots of insulation and 4 panes of bifolding doors spanning almost 4 meters across the rear that faces the garden.

The extra cost for one window to support the opening function would be around £260.

I am wondering if I actually need this function with the large opening of the bifolds, can it get that hot in the summer? What would you recommend?

Sponsored Links
Extensions, especially those facing the sun most of the day, can get very hot and stuffy with modern insulation and little air movement.

If your designer has not included constant forced air ventilation, then ventilation of the ceiling area would be worthwhile.

Better to have the option and not use it, than not have it but need it.

I have 2 of the largest Skylights in my extension ceiling, I bought the remote control electric ones. It is the best thing about the whole extension, as it is south facing and gets very hot. It also has the option that they close themselves when it rains.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Extensions, especially those facing the sun most of the day, can get very hot and stuffy with modern insulation and little air movement.

If your designer has not included constant forced air ventilation, then ventilation of the ceiling area would be worthwhile.

Better to have the option and not use it, than not have it but need it.

It is actually a south facing extension and the sun will hit it from the early morning hours during summer time (when there is any:)

When the house becomes warm I usually open a few windows front/back, that cools it down fast downstairs.

I plan on fitting motorised roller blinds for the skylights to reduce the sunlight impact. Also thinking if I should buy the slightly tinted glass to protect the kitchen and dining room furniture from long term exposure to sunlight.

I have 2 of the largest Skylights in my extension ceiling, I bought the remote control electric ones. It is the best thing about the whole extension, as it is south facing and gets very hot. It also has the option that they close themselves when it rains.

Andy

Thanks Andy, which ones did you buy if you don't mind sharing? Did you also consider tinted options for the glass to reduce the impact of sun rays to furniture?

It is hard to find skylights for the 15 degree pitch...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back