Roof/ceiling: open verses closed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, apologies for incorrect terminology but Im sure some one can correct me along the way.
We are creating an extension on a semi bungalow. It will come out 10m. Previous applications and research has told me that creating a low roof on the out side is favourable.
Now, what I would like to know is, in creating a roof (still giving full height rooms inside) where the ridge height is as low as possible for a pitch roof what can be achieved inside?
Instead of having a ceiling inside can it be open?
If it is open we could add skylights.
Cost is a big determining factor, which would be cheaper to achieve, a room without a ceiling or one that has a ceiling?
Can anyone point out any pitfalls to any of this?

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
To create an open pitched ceiling you need to remove the ties.The ties stop the walls wanting to push out away from each other. Structurally this is achieved by having a structural ridge beam. At 10m long it would be a humongous beam and would likely make it impracticable.

A few other options including reducing the span of the ridge beam with columns or piers.

Or consider instead structural ties like this maybe http://www.s3i.co.uk/image/s3i/Tie-Bar.jpg so you can still achieve an open ceiling.

Sponsored Links
Freddie is right, i worked on a fancy new build which had a vaulted ceiling like that. The span of the beam was about 13m with a padstone about 4m from one end.

The steel beam forming the ridge was enormous and it also makes forming the actual roof ridge a bit of a faff. Pretty looking trusses might be an option depending on pitch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back