PL lamps, energy saving????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im going to be fitting some occupancy sensors shortly, the rooms have 4-6 13W PL downlighters each.

The sensors my wholesaler has in states on the side,
tungsten lighting: 1000W
Flourescent: 400W
Energy Saving: 22W

I'm awaiting a reply from the manufacturer to confirm this, but your PL lamps come under "energy saving" or fluorescent? (considering household CFLs seem to come under both)

Sponsored Links
i would say fluerescent as there proberly allowing for pl lamps with magnetic control gear, as opposed to plc type screw in type with electronic control built in the base.
You may however have pl type with electronic control, but as the control gear is negligible i would say that could be either.

They will be classed as fluorescent lamps.

Not sure what they class as energy saving lamps.

Sponsored Links
It is an interesting question.

Looking at the English I would say if it's florescent then it would not also be included in the energy saving group.

So I would assume energy saving refers to LED lighting.

Looking as an electrician I question why such a reduction in power for LED lighting. I can't see why LED lighting should be so much lower.

The florescent or any other discharge lighting unit can be induction or inverter (HF) controlled and the induction type is likely to cause more of a problem than the inverter (HF) electronic type.

Also the frequent switching from a PIR is more likely to cause a problem with induction control gear than with HF control gear. However some lamps do have a very slow start. With emergency lighting I have in the past needed to use a delay turning off the emergency light so the discharge lighting can start first.

I can't think of any lighting which could be considered as energy saving that's not florescent other than LED. Even SON lights are akin to florescent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back