Placement of bricks on Magiglo coal-effect fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I moved recently and now own a gas coal-effect fire, pictures attached.

The marking on the burner controls says Magiglo BM733 and I've had a look for an online manual but can't find one specific to my model.

I lit the fire yesterday to see how well it burned and it was very uneven. On inspection some of the bricks were mis-placed and it was generally very uneven. Also one piece is broken.

Can anyone tell me the correct pattern (if indeed there is one) for placing the bricks on the grate? Also is it possible to order a replacement for the broken piece (or even a complete set of replacement coals)?

Many thanks in advance - here are the pictures:

Fireplace:

Controls:

Base:

Top plate under bricks:

Air bricks? One broken:

Coal effect bricks:

Sponsored Links
If you intend on using the fire regularly i would recommend getting a gas engineer to service it, to make sure the flue is sound and not spilling, also to check ventilation ect.
A carbon monoxide alarm would be a excellent idea too.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Pete - they have a list of manuals on their website but I have looked through all of them and none seem to match my fireplace's layout.

Kind regards

The damper plate is fixed in an open position, it doesn't move

Best to have a gas engineer in to inspect, service and repair it or may not be safe, flue need check and spillage and flue flow test need doing as well.

Daniel.

Thanks for the tips about servicing - i have inherited a boiler too so servicing is on my list before winter

Bm733 is the gas valve number not the fire model number so you wont find it by searching that you should have a data plate on the fire somewhere they are usually faint or burnt off though so good luck

Your fire looks like or is very similar to the Magiglo 'custom' 16 (L16)

The broken part is called an 'aeration tube', small aeration tubes have one hole in each face (= 3) while larger aeration tubes have two holes in each face (= 6) depending on the fire model.

Use the link that 45yearsagasman has suggested and look for *manuals* at the bottom of the page (with red background) and choose *Custom 18/18 MF280* a .pdf file, this will give some idea rather than nothing.

Suggest maybe to contact *Gas Appliance Spares* Preston for advice or browse on their Magiglo page for further info on similar models, some coal set pics are not available.

http://www.gas-spares.co.uk/Catalogue/MAGIGLO-FIRE-SPARES/FIRES-NG

As advised, only a gas safe RGI can test for spillage, flue condition, and other legal requirements, CO problems can be lethal.

Good luck.

It looks like a recent Magiglow, since taken over by Burley. Best to PHONE them:
http://ww.magiglo.co.uk/contact.htm. Ask to speak to Chris Astley-Jones. They now won't sell to the public, will give you the part numbers, and an outlet. They will probably, if asked, send you a users booklet. The coals are fitted in a less than precise manner, compared to most.

If you do not know the history of the gas appliances, get everything checked NOW - winter may be too late. Seriously.

Because open flued appliances are so capable of creating carbon monoxide which is odourless and very poisonous I always advise that an electronic CO detector is fitted nearby.

I also repeat previous advice that you should get it serviced but BEFORE you use it.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back