planing doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had new carpets fitted and the fitter removed the doors as they would have snagged the carpet. obviously I'm going to have to shorten the doors, can anyone give me advice as to the best way to do this, e.g. saw or plane? I have a new electric plane which I haven't used yet but a mate of mine reckons a jack saw would be better. I reckon I need to take about 5 mm off. thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
For that kind of trim, I reckon a straight edge and a circular saw.

Thanks eddie, I think I overestimated in my first post, up to 5mm would suffice, still the same advice?

Using a circular saw will give you one side of rough edge unless its score with a stanley knife, a planer is easier

Sponsored Links
5mm, yes a planer would probably be better. A circular saw with a fine cut blade minimises any breakout / chipping but you would generally use this method when you were taking a fair amount off. Also, if you are really taking a lot off, you need take off both the tope and the bottom of the doors, and have to reposition the hinges, which is a pain.

jimboc said:
I've just had new carpets fitted and the fitter removed the doors as they would have snagged the carpet. obviously I'm going to have to shorten the doors, can anyone give me advice as to the best way to do this, e.g. saw or plane? I have a new electric plane which I haven't used yet but a mate of mine reckons a jack saw would be better. I reckon I need to take about 5 mm off. thanks in advance

Have u used a electric plane before, if not don't press down too hard and keep it streight.

You haven't said what the doors are made of, and how they are made. If they are hardboard doors, the panels are usually pinned onto a strip across the bottom. When you plane it, you will find the pins :cry:

If they are solid wood, you may split the wood as the plane reaches the edge of the door :cry:

Hand tools are often better for the non-expert.

I prefer a circular saw myself, you get a better line.

If you do usew a planer then draw a line first that you can plane down to or it'll all go awry.

I have both an electric planer & circular saw; if the amount being removed is greater than the thickness of the saw blade, I’d go with the saw every time & cut against a clamped straight edge. it’s quicker & only needs a light polish with the planer to finish it off & chamfer the edges. There is more risk of going off square or bowing when removing large amounts with the planer; also helps the blade last longer!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back