Trimming door bottoms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to trim about 3/8 inch (10 mm) off 2 door bottoms to allow clearance for a new carpet. I think this could be done with :-

a) circular saw
b) jig saw
c) handsaw
d) power planer
e) hand plane

What are the pros and cons of these methods - which is best or is there another better way ?
If using a power saw (circular or jig) how do you avoid wandering off line in the last few inches when any guide marks are not visible ?

Sponsored Links
Need more info about the door. Solid wood, PVAu, Two bits of hardboard with stuff inbetween?

Assuming it is a wooden door I find the simplest way is to set the fence on a Circular saw to the desired width - 10mm in your case - and with one pass it is done . A quick rub over with a fine sandpaper and hang it back up.

you forgot to mention to take it down in the first place ;)

i hear that it is possible (with a "special tool" ) to trim a door in situ, but i do not if it is true, and if it is i guess the tool will not be cheap

Sponsored Links
03141.jpg

From HSS tool hire £26 per day
Trimming a door to accommodate a new flooring? Don't unhinge it. Just trim the bottom edge in-situ.

Very easy to use, I use it for to cut the bottom of the skirting board to allow the laminated flooring to slide underneath ! The problem was if you hit a nail or damage the saw teeth, the blade is £120 each. Save me a lot of work without having to put beading down or removing skirting boards.

Breezer.... they are called a Karlton kdt 184.

They seem to vary between £200-£300. They are on google.

Grant, you will probably want to use Masona's tool now ,but to answer your question:
If using a power saw (circular or jig) how do you avoid wandering off line in the last few inches when any guide marks are not visible ?
I use a circular saw but I don't use the fence at all. I clamp a straight edge on the door so that it overhangs, then the circular saw is guided until the cut is finished. I cut kitchen worktops the same way.

We still don't know what sort of doors these are. Some internal doors are nothing more than a bit of thin pine framework sandwiched between two bits of hardboard or firbreboard, packed out with some token cardboard.

Removing 10mm from the bottom of one of these can result in taking away the bottom batton and making it.., well... floppy.

Love that saw, want one. Shame about the price :cry: .

Tex... just seen 2 different prices £235 and £410! I have also seen the blades for £35.

It definately shows the value of the internet for this sort of buying.

Masona....the one in the piccy looks a different make, is it a makita?

david and julie said:
Masona....the one in the piccy looks a different make, is it a makita?
Can't remember as it was about 5 years ago when I last hired one, I know there're not many manufacter that make them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back