Planning a loft conversion, what order?

The Permitted development rights of Feb this year. If I'm wrong I'll be happy.

If anybody has anything constructive on this I'd still like advise.

Sponsored Links
There is not really a problem with DIYing the design as long as you know what to do.

The problems come when you design your supports, layout, etc and then the engineer looks at it, (charges his fee) and then if you need to alter it - and then its another fee. Or he designs some expensive beams/supports which cost a lot more than a better or cheaper alternative

Or the engineer comes out, tells you to do something one way, but that is not the design you want.

Or if planners want changes to a dormer, which alters loadings

So there are potential problems, and you need to keep your eye on costs.

Obviously, it is is just two beams from wall to wall then that is fine

So ideally you want someone (who could be you) to design the conversion, knowing what will work structurally and be acceptable to planners and building control, and knowing that the beams or supports you want the engineer to calculate are he most efficient and cost effective so that it is only done once, is easy to build and does not cost more than it should

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply Woody.

Even although I may be able to do the design, it might end up costing more going back and forth with tweaks.

I'll see what I can put on paper and decide from there. If there are too many things I'm unsure of I may well get somebody in to do the lot.

Exactly the sort of answer I was looking for.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Woody has given the only constructive advice so far and it's appreciated.
The only things I can think of now aren't that constructive. So I'll leave it.

Sorry Jeds. Your advice was very helpful. There had been that many negative comments between yours and Woodys I worded that badly.

Cheers!

(Just checked I also hit the thanks button on the 31st)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back