planning permission for interior wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Do you need planning permission to erect a stud partition interior wall Thanks Bill

Sponsored Links
jbonding said:
I wouldnt say so, wheres it going and whats it deviding up?
Thanks for reply, origionally the kitchen led straight into living room. I erected a wall between them taking away a few feet of the living room space so making a corridor so that you could access kitchen via lobby without going through living area. Thanks Bill

Sponsored Links
You almost certainly won't need PP for the stud wall but any ancillary work (lights, sockets, ventilation etc.) must comply with Building regs.

Planning permission is not required for anything internal unless it involves excavating below floor level. So you can't build a swimming pool or a basement but you can put up a partition.

jeds said:
Planning permission is not required for anything internal unless it involves excavating below floor level. So you can't build a swimming pool or a basement but you can put up a partition.

What about a loft conversion? Change of use, etc etc

Not required unless you want to change the roof shape/size. And then you can often make certain changes under permitted development.

jeds said:
Not required unless you want to change the roof shape/size. And then you can often make certain changes under permitted development.

Right-O. I stand corrected

i think we may need a sticky for this.

right here goes....

planning permission deals with the environmental impact of a building as well as its appearance and how well it fits into its surroundings.

building control and building regulations deal with the nuts and bolts of a building and regulate how it is built.

planning will ask questions like....
will those roof tiles look ok?
will those bricks or windows suit a 17th century house?
if you decide to change your house into a pub, will you have enough parking, what impact will it have on your neighbours?
if i change my home into a business, will the drains cope and will the off road parking be a danger or a nuisance.
if you replace that flat roof with a pitched roof will it take a lot of light off the neighbours?

building control ask questions like.....
are those foundations deep enough?
how thick is that insulation?
are those roof timbers the right size?
is that low "e" glass and are there trickle vents in those windows?
how come you haven't fitted a mechanical vent in the bathroom/utility/toilet?

there are certain things that are both planning and building control exempt. non permanent structures of less than 30sq metres do not require planning permission, such as a conservatory (less than 30 sq m) provided it has an external spec door separating it, from habitable, is largely unregulated.

most internal work is nothing to do with planning, but a lot to do with building control, though historical buildings or those in an historically sensitive area will come under planning scrutiny.

some trees and even shrubs have more rights to the land than buildings, particularly those in a conservation area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back