planning permission for new window?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
as per title, do i require planning permission or do i need to contact building control to fit a window in the gable wall of my semi detached house, it will look onto my 6' wide drive, then onto next doors drive and gable wall, which is a plain wall, West of Scotland, in case that makes a difference
cheers

Sponsored Links
I'm a bit confused with the relevance of that link tbh? Don't know if I missed it, but does it say if you need Planning Approval for a new window or not? It's talking about replacements etc.

In my humble opionion....... generally if your going to put in a new window, on a gable end, that will overlook your neighbours - I would've thought you need an approval.

You're proposing a change to the external envelope of the building, therefore it either has to fall within PD rights or within an approval.

Yes it does...

Planning permission is not normally required for repairing, fitting or replacing doors and windows (including double glazing).

Similarly to your understanding, I also think that windows at first floor level on elevations that overlook neighbours gardens, then PP may be required.

As the planning system is never simple, I'd always recommend to check before proceeding.

Sponsored Links
This is from Thameside.gov which reflects the approved document & may explain things a little better;

Do I need permission to insert a new window or door opening?

Building Regulation Approval
Yes you do, even if your installer is a member of a government approved competent person scheme. This work constitutes a structural alteration and will require the insertion of a new structural support. If you have any doubts about the structural nature of the works you are advised to seek the advice of a structural engineer, architect or building surveyor.

Planning Permission
Planning permission to insert a new window or door opening is not required providing any upper-floor windows in the wall or roof slope forming a side elevation of the dwelling are glazed with obscured-glass (level 4 or 5 obscurity) and are fixed into a non-opening frame (unless the opener is more than 1.7m above the floor of the room in which the window is installed).
Please note
Planning permission may be required if the permitted development rights for your property have been removed. To check the status of your permitted development rights please use the online system.

What I’m not sure about is if the same applies in Scotland where kirkgas is :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back