Planning Permission for Outbuildings.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
....after Permitted Development allowance is exceeded.

Hi people,

If you've read other posts, you might notice that I'm thinking about some sort of Conservatory/Extension as a Permitted Development in the future. One thing that has got me thinking, is regarding sheds and outbuildings.

Am I correct in thinking that sheds and outbuildings count towards your Permitted Development allowance, and that if you erect a shed, that your remaining Permitted Development allowance would decreased? Thus if you built a Conservatory/Extension to the original full size allowed as a Permitted Development (as if the shed wasn't there), you'd actually require Planning Permission? (does that make sense?)

Assuming I've got that right. Let's say somebody complains and the planning people come out, could you offer to demolish the shed so that the Conservatory/Extension then fell within the Permitted Development requirements?

Have I also got it right that if both buildings stood without complaint for 4 years, that both would be lawful and not need planning?

Reason I'm asking is that I'm keen to at some point in the future extend the house, but we really could do with a decent sized shed (I don't mean a summer house or anything lol) right now as my tools and other outdoor related stuff are currently cluttering our quite compact house. I've also never dabbled in constructing any sort of foundations, so a basic shed base I figure would be a good place to start before learning the more structural stuff.
Take it easy on me lol.

Sponsored Links
Aye, I'm aware that I'd need to apply for planning permission should my allowance be used or not have enough left for an extension project.

The angle I'm coming from is more the "where's the harm?" angle, ie, if I had a shed up (nothing spectacular, just 6ft high, maybe 6ft long, 4-5ft wide), and I wanted to use the full (not what's remaining after the shed) permitted development allowance for an extension, would I really really have to demolish the shed first, or just leave it standing, and be prepared to dismantle it should anyone complain? Further to that would it then be lawful if nobody complained after 4 years?

I'm probably over thinking it as usual lol.

Sponsored Links
I do know they take that onboard for developments within the greenbelt. You can get away with "off-setting" proposed buildings against existing. However, I'm not sure the view planning take on developments outside the greenbelt, i.e. where proposals aren't as limited.

No reason why you can't put the question to your LPA though?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back