Planning permission for something that cannot be achieved!

It seems to me, that the builders will have to weatherproof/treat your new external wall before the extension goes up. But if the neighbours extension is going to be only 150mm away from yours, then how will any maintenance be done. If the walls being rendered, then it's possible that it's being built of concrete blocks, whereas a brick built wall could be pointed as it's going up.

It's more than possible, that any builders he approaches will look at the wall, and say no can do mate, and he'll be forced to go back to the drawing board anyway.

Out of interest, why aren't they rebuilding off the existing wall; as this seems to be the most sensible course of action.

Sponsored Links
Building Control will happily sign off the works provided the wall is compliant they won't give a hoot that it says render on the approved planning drawings. Or do you live in a different dimension to the rest of us?

You're not getting it are you.

It has nothing to do with what will get signed off at all. It's all to do with the act of signing it off.

That is the point in time when the work is complete and the point in time when the owner can no longer say "it's not complete I will render it at the end of time". And the point in time when the planners can say "it's complete and there is nothing else to do, but it's not in accordance with the approved permission".

I'm sure you really understand that but are just trying to defend your previous comment.

You can get a project signed off by building control that does not conform to the approved planning drawings. He could leave the wall fairfaced, use brick or whatever. Building control will not care provided its watertight.

It makes you wonder if the left hand knows what the right hand is doing with those two departments. No one will see the rendered wall, so planning department wouldn't worry over it, and as long as it's built properly, Building control won't worry what it looks like. I suspect the builders will have the last say, but it does bring in to question, the competence of the architect.

Sponsored Links
I think the crucial point is that building control and the planning department are entirely separate, and one has no effect on the other anyway. You can get something signed off by building control before it's compete (painting, fitting decking, adding outside lighting etc) and you can build things that either don't need planning permission or don't need building control.
Apart from all that, they can ask you to apply for planning permission in retrospect for some deviation, but even if you don't bother, they may or may not enforce.

Many thanks for all the comments (Gmail spammed the email alert, so I've only just seen the replies).
You have all confirmed what I thought about the Planning Department's left hand and the Building Enforcement's right hand!

The revised plan does use the party wall with a new single skin wall built adjacent to it and the roof joins our roof so addresses the weatherproofing problem. I've not had chance to speak with my neighbour yet, but thanks for the information.

Have a good Xmas.
regards,
Mike

I fully get where Woody is coming from.
I have made a complaint about a hideous overbearing extension that is being built by our neighbours, which is not part of their approved plans.
The planning enforcement officer has seen it but has said they have no power of enforcement until the build is complete, all they can do in the meantime is write to the homeowner and let them know they are aware of the infringement.
I asked when would they consider it complete and their position was at either BC sign-off or occupation. They have informed me that they have no facility to be notified by BC nor the resources to keep monitoring the build and have suggested that I get back in contact when I believe the build is complete

However in this case, the wall in question will be both inaccessible , nor visible so won't have any material effect on the PP and so the planners will have no interest.

Sorry last paragraph was referring to the OP's issue
My neighbours extension is most definitely not invisible, they have PP to build a first floor extension approximately 2 m out over an existing ground floor extension, to project half a metre beyond an already existing original Victorian addition. But in their wisdom have decided to build it a further 3m out 5m in total with a fooking great window looking straight down into my kitchen.

I asked when would they consider it complete and their position was at either BC sign-off or occupation

Hallelujah.

It's OK now, as FMT got a "Planning for Dummies" book from his Secret Santa.

ooops :whistle:

woody, can you provide an example of a Planning Authority using BCO certification as evidence of 'completion' against which enforcement action was then taken?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back