Planning permission to remove loads of ground from driveway???

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I reversed off a driveway yesterday (house trying to buy) and the bottom of my car (Chevy estate) scraped the ground. There's nothing particulary low. Several of the neighbouring houses have lowered their drives to make them flatter, with a gentle slope towards the garage.

I know from reading today that you can turn your whole front garden into a driveway under permitted development so long as you ensure that it is a permeable drive, to avoid increasing run-off. But, does removing 10 skip loads of earth also come under this rule?
driveway reduction.png

To the right of the drive is a raised lawn area. Also, it's bloody tight even for my car, so removals is going to be interesting ....

Sponsored Links
Also, it's bloody tight even for my car, so removals is going to be interesting ....
Not for a grab-loader.
Get a digger in with a grading bucket and heap it up near the front of the drive then ring your grab man. It will be cheaper than skips too.

The first thing I'd do is make that entrance wider too. Cars and their size have moved on (got bigger) since that driveway entrance was planned out.

Great idea, thanks Noseall! I'll be opening up the whole front, make it all level with easy access, then but something back (shrubs, picket fence etc.) if I feel I don't want it wide open.

Sponsored Links
thinking that this might have to be a priority job. Found a grab loader guy, just need to get some quotes for the digging side of things. Approx how long / how much is it likely to cost to do this? Fuller pics of fronts.

upload_2017-5-30_17-49-5.png

No, not at all. Copes with speed bumps just fine. I think it's a combination with the angle of the drive and the slight dip in the pavement before the road. It may have been the tow bar kit that scraped, so a simpler solution might be at hand - but I am not sure as I was driving and my wife peering under the car whilst stopping traffic, and just said "something metal"!

8206e0e9a4ad45bebbc7aa5edcdfbe31

Slightly off topic ( I haven't a clue £ for groundwork) I'd get a price for dropping that extremely tall chimney, I don't trust them in high winds;)

Well, it has stood there for some time. It will stay a little longer. Even if I convert the loft that will be in the eaves anyway, so I might just keep it high and mighty. Although, I do want to build a brick bbq at some point ....

Impressive, much more space! Can I ask what type of surface did you decide to go with for this driveway?

I've not done it yet - that other drive is a neighbour that recently opened the drive up.
They went with a combination of block paving and gravel, I think. Will no doubt have a closer look on Friday, when I move in!

Oh, I bought a bloody big SDS drill with some chisel attachments. Ready to smash some stuff!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back