Planning permission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A neighbour has purchased a plot of agricultural land next to his house, which has a large garden, and created an access road and a large hardstanding which he says will be the base for a triple oak carport or garage. I can find no reference to anything on the council website regarding him applying for change of use or planning permission and feel sure that there should be something? Anyone have any advice?

Sponsored Links
What kind of advice? Esoteric, spiritual or motivational or maybe something else? There are lots of types of advice but it would help if you were to be more specific.

Thank you so much for the reply. I was wondering if anyone could confirm if planning permision or change of use should be applied for. If so what would be the likely outcome for this project if the planning department find out. I also own some agricultural land and had always thought that building on it could be difficult. Iam interested to see what hapoens. I do apologise for not being clear enough.

From my limited knowledge, you can't build on agriculural land, and putting in a large hardstanding and a carport, is no longer using it for agricutural purposes, and is now treating it as an extension to his house/garden. You could report him to the council, on the other hand, is it causing you a problem.

Don't worry, you were clear enough; Freddies just winding you up.

Sponsored Links
There are permitted development rights for agricultural land. This means that some types of limited development is allowed without formally applying for planning permission. But there are restrictions in what can be done and for what use.

PD can include change of use, but for change to residential, it seems that there should be existing buildings first. Check this though.

The council may have placed restrictions in their planning policy framework, and there may be other restrictions on the land, so the best thing would be to check with the local planning dept.

Thank you for the replies. This is what I thought. I have a piece of agricultural land that came with my house and had always assumed that it doing anything construction wise would be difficult and involve various applications and wrangling with the council. We live in a rural area and the planning people are pretty strict.

I am just curious to see where this will go as the development is clearly large and not agri related.

Thank you once again.

We live in a rural area and the planning people are pretty strict.

They don't go around patrolling, so it's all about whether the neighbours draw their attention to things. If you want to do something similar then keep quiet and you can rely on your neighbour not reporting you too because you'll both be in the same boat.

That is good advice. I have no intention of reporting him as you have to live with your neighbours. I suspect it will be spotted at some point as it is clearly visible from the busy main road or some farmer who got his plans knocked back will mention it. Silly really as the guy has a huge garden anyway.

Perhaps his idea is to establish the garage with a view to applying for pp to build a house where the garage is in the future. If this is of concern to you then you can ask the planning department to take a look at it, they don't reveal who contacted them. I am not saying you should do this but then again his intentions might affect you in future.

Perhaps his idea is to establish the garage with a view to applying for pp to build a house where the garage is in the future. If this is of concern to you then you can ask the planning department to take a look at it, they don't reveal who contacted them. I am not saying you should do this but then again his intentions might affect you in future.

I worked next to a property owned by a very wily property developer who had a string of planning applications and appeals to try and build on his land in the green belt. One was to build a large triple garage on an adjacent paddock which he eventually won on appeal. He then converted it to a granny "annex" without permission but got retrospective approval on appeal. It is now a freestanding bungalow with it's own access.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back