Plans to remove 2 Monkey Puzzle trees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our neighbour has 2 Monkey Puzzle trees & they are now around 30ft tall & about 20ft apart. They don't like the trees, but feel the cost of chopping them down will be prohibitive. I have offered to get up the ladder & do the chopping while they clear up on the ground. I plan on working up the stem de-branching & then taking the stem down bit by bit using ropes etc.
The reason I'm so keen to help is that the trees block so much light from our gardens & spoil a potentialy good view. I'd appreciate any tips for taking the trees down, also whether there are any legal requirements, or permissions required for the felling.

Sponsored Links
if you are both in agreement go nuts.

I would seriously consider getting someone in to do this if you don't have room to just drop them. Its one thing using a chainsaw on the ground and a very different proposition when up a tree.

The only outcomes from chainsaw accidents are death or mutilation

Thanks, yes it will be me slogging away with a sharp handsaw I'm afraid.
The stem is about a 1ft thick at it's widest, so we'll get it down to about 15ft then just drop it, cut it, & throw the trunk in the skip.
I've deffo decided against a chain saw. If it takes a few weekends & some sweat & tears, it'll be worth it for the view alone. I'm an ex Climber, so heights don't really bother me either :unsure:

Great! i think you've made a sensible choice. If your used to using ropes etc then your laughing. For a tree that size a sharp handsaw will make short work of it anyway.

Good luck

Sponsored Links
just a suggestion, as you're very sensible doing it by hand....

I recently had some tree work done by two excellent tree professionals (arborists?). They used these handsaws and I was amazed how well they cut even massive branches, in all sorts of angles and directions, and on both the push and the pull.

http://www.silkyfox.co.uk/sheathedsaws.html

I will certainly be getting one before I do any more pruning (the gomtaro one, probably). Way better than e.g. a bow saw (well, way better than mine anyway even with a new blade).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back