Plaster boarding a RSJ & Catnic lintels.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, what is the best way to enclose a RSJ & underneath a metal lintel?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
When you say metal lintel i presume you mean over a window opening?
Dot and dab works fine.
As for the rsj,it needs nogging out and then covering with either 2x9mm/12.5mm plasterboard or 1xfireline board to give it the fire protection,i find deifferent methods work bettter for different applications
e.g if the beam is going to be seen then its fine with 1x fireline,but if youre trying to blend it in with a wall uve taken out(say between 2 rooms) then building out with more sheets of board might be the better option.
Hope this makes sence

Hi, thanks for your replys.

How would you actually plaster board the underneath of the RSJ ie how to get the board to fix to.

Sponsored Links
There are different ways of doing it depending(in my opinion) the overall thickness of the beams appearance i.e if its to finish flush with an existing wall as mentioned earlier.
Once the rsj is nogged out then you can fix plasterboard to it and let it hang past the rsj so you could fix say a tile lath to it and then board the underneath.
Or after nogging,fix laths to the noggs and build it all the way round(-you would have small bits running down from noggs just past bottom of beam,then a long continuous piece running length of beam) and then fix plasterboard to this.
Its alot easier than i probably make it sound :)

Noggings in each side of rsj. Cut a piece of board to length, but the width is enough to wrap around the rsj. score (NOT CUT) the board so that it will bend around the rsj.

IF you want , a bit of grip fill on underside of the rsj.

Fix first side of board into noggins with screws, wrap board around using scores to fold it, screw in other side, Fix beads and skim!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back