Plaster first or tile first?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have plasterboarded my walls in the bathroom and I want to make the bottom half tiles and the too half plaster skim but I don't know which should be done first.

I want the tiles to be directly applied to the board due to the weight.

Do I tile first then plaster afterwards so they can plaster up to tiles? This is my thinking but people are saying I should def do plastering first, but how if I don't know quite yet where the tiles will end on the wall

Sponsored Links
The ball is in your court. Pick the tiles, measure how far up/ or where the tiles will go too, mark it on the wall, get the plasterer in, and tell him to plaster just past the marked areas. You can then tile onto the bare plasterboard, knowing that the tiles/tiling bead/s will finish, just overlapping onto the plaster skim, giving it a nice neat finish, with the plaster ready for painting. Simple really. ;)

You could do it your way and tile first,but the plasterer would have to charge you more. Getting an equal margin against a tile is a little bit fiddly.
The easiest way is as described by " roughcaster "

Sponsored Links
Thank you both. I think I'll mark the tiles out as you say and get the plasterers to go just past the line.

Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back