plaster or artex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have recently had an extension built and am now ready to finish the inside. all walls have been plasterboard and i am now wondering how to finish. i know the obvious solution is to get a plasterer in but unfortunately funds will not allow this so do i:

just paper and paint
attempt to tape joins and paint boards
attempt to plaster
or
attempt to artex

as the original part of the house is rather old (over 200 years) with bumpy walls i would like to maintain this look throughout the property so i don't want super shiny flat walls and ceilings as it would not be in keeping

any advice gratefully received

thanks

Karen[/list]

Sponsored Links
Hi Karen151,

If you put wallpaper straight onto plasterboard you’ll never be able to get it off again (without taking the face of the plasterboard off too) and you won’t be able to plaster over it either.

If you can’t afford to get a plasterer in, then by all means you could attempt to plaster yourself. However, it is an extremely difficult task for a diyer, and takes a fair bit of practice to get to a stage of finishing where the walls are just “a bit bumpy”. If you’ve not tried it before, then I wouldn’t suggest you have you first attempt in your nice new extension.

I don’t believe I’ve ever met anyone that likes Artex. Well some people are indifferent, but it’s more likely to invoke negative emotions than positive ones (Just worth baring in mind if you ever want to sell the place!). Artexing is also very difficult to do yourself.

My suggestion would be that you tape and fill the joints yourself, and then paint in MATT paint. There are plenty of forum articles on how to get a good plasterboard joint, just do a search. I won’t lie to you – you’ll probably be able to see the joint when you’re done.

However, at least this will give your room a nice enough finish in the interim. By doing it this way, in the future you’ll still be in a position where you’ll be able to easily get the walls plastered. This could either be by a pro (when and if money allows), or you’ll be able to do it yourself once you’ve had an opportunity to do a plastering course, or watch a plastering DVD, or practice on a bit of plasterboard in the garden (or all of the above!).

thanks for your advice. with regards artex - personally can't stand the stuff! - but i was thinking a stone wall finish as opposed to fancy swirls and the like! very rustic!!??

thanks again

karen

Sponsored Links
Shame i am not a bit closer Karen would of plastered it for you .

Methinks love is in the air Bristy. :cool: Shall we all get ordering our new suits!!! :LOL:

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back