Plaster or PVA reacting with a wall covering!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody help?

I have been helping out a friend and overskimming his house for him, he has stripped off the paper in all the rooms and there seems to be some kind of paint which has been used (mainly above the picture rail) which seems to be reacting when I start skimming it! so whats happening is when I come back to put on the second all these cracked bubble have appeared!

The thing is if you don't PVA it the plaster doesn't seem to react. When I say react what happens is the plaster begins to bubble and crack, and in these areas if you take off the plaster it peels off this coating. It seems to be some kind of paint, definatley not paper as it won't scrape of; until this "reaction" either with the PVA or plaster!

Could it be a lead paint?

Has anybody had this problem before? the only way we have beeen able to deal with it so far is to paint it with PVA, let it dry then put a thin skim of plaster on, leave it for 10/15 mins and then scrape this off! Obviously this is not he best way to do it! Any Ideas?? Please help as this is really doing my head in!!!

Also, how do you get the best results in corners and where the wall meets the ceiling???????

Sponsored Links
could be distemper or ceilinite which is an old limewash type shyte from years ago :cry: `twill have to be removed I reckon as that was how it used to be done .....ie scrape/wash off and then re-distemper

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back