Plastering Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I had a lot of blown plaster in one of my bedrooms so recently I took off everything that was loose (a lot!!), PVA'd the brick work and re-bonded level with the existing plaster (it's a 1920's house - was papered but I stripped it off and want to paint directly onto the plaster.)

1 - I'm now ready to skim the whole room with Multi-finish but as some of the plaster is old and dry I was wondering whether I should PVA the walls before skimming to prevent the multi-finish from drying too fast? either that or should I just soak the walls with water before skimming?

2 - Also, once I've skimmed the room (one coat, then flatten, another 1/4 hawk full coat, wet trail then dry trail), what do I need to do to enable me to paint the wall? who long should I wait for the plaster to dry?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
wrighty208 said:
I was wondering whether I should PVA the walls before skimming to prevent the multi-finish from drying too fast?

You should always PVA the walls otherwise it might not take to the wall and end up cracking and falling off

PVA the lot, 2 coats leave 1/2 hour'ish between coats.

Skim with 2 coats of multi and leave to dry, you will see the older browning areas dry quicker than the new.

Time to dry before paint is something of an unknown quantity, you will know when it is dry then give it a coat of paint and see how it goes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back