Plaster over ply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have plastered out a flat and where there is a cupboard to house the wash machine, i used ply on the wall (inside the cupboard). However i changed something and have ended up setting back the cupboard by 10cm. So i have a strip of ply showing, which butts up to the new plaster board.

Ideally i would just easy fill over this strip and blend it in with the plaster wall, but i have read it can be an issue.

So it is not a big area to be covered over. Its 10cm wide by 90cm high. I could cover it will a piece of architrave, but really it would look clumsy.

Do you think it will be ok to plaster over ? Would you use bonding first and then use the easyfill. Would you apply pva ?

Sponsored Links
Why ? I need the finish to be flush with the current plasterboard. The current difference is 3mm.

Hmm tricky if it was me and couldn’t board over which really should be I would seal the wood the mesh the skim coat on top and hopefully be ok

Sponsored Links
Apply mesh on top of the wet skim and then push it down edge of trowel then finish over the top to bind the plaster

This photo will show what it looks like

Attachments

• 6A7CD2C6-8DF5-4677-9394-685DB3AEAD3A.jpeg
    6A7CD2C6-8DF5-4677-9394-685DB3AEAD3A.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 61
Can't you use an oscillating saw to cut the ply back and then infill with plasterboard.

I am a decorator rather than a plasterer, but with the current set up, I expect you to have constant hairline cracks where the ply meets the plasterboard.

Why ? I need the finish to be flush with the current plasterboard. The current difference is 3mm.

How on earth were you going to put bonding and easifill on with 3mm to play with?

That join will crack forever more unless you cut it back and get some depth.

Spoke to a plasterer today working below me. He said to cut back the plaster b so i can fit some scrim tape. He wasnt to sure about using pva, so i asked about blue grit and he said that would be better.

He thought easi fill might work better than just skim as well.

So i am going to try it and see how i get on.

I cant really cut out the ply and replace with PB.

Spoke to a plasterer today working below me. He said to cut back the plaster b so i can fit some scrim tape. He wasnt to sure about using pva, so i asked about blue grit and he said that would be better.

He thought easi fill might work better than just skim as well.

So i am going to try it and see how i get on.

I cant really cut out the ply and replace with PB.
Why, simple enough to remove screws to front and multi tool out the protruding ply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back