Plasterboard or plaster a bathroom??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bathroom is currently all tiled from floor to ceiling.

I have re-tiled the shower area with a view to re-tiling the rest of the bathroom in the same tile. This didn't happen so i now have nice 10cm x 10cm stone tiles in the shower area and horrid 30cm x 20cm grey everywhere else.

I dont wish to use the stone tiles now (too expensive!) and am looking for a quick, cheap and easy way to cover the grey tiles, these walls dont come into contact with water. I'm trying to avoid the hassle of taking them off the wall!

Do i:-

1. Plasterboard over the existing tiles, seal with PVA and paint? Difficulty?, Cost?

2. Take the tiles off and plaster? Is there a ready mixed, easy to apply plaster you can buy? (i can tile flat walls and paint but thats where my DIY skills end, never attempted to mix and apply plaster like the pro's)

Your thoughts are much appreciated

Sponsored Links
I have also had another idea.

Who has used this ready to roll plaster? sounds perfect for an amateur like me.

Can i apply it straight to the wall once the tiles are removed, i understand i will have to get off as much adhesive from the tiles as i can

The odds are that clods of plaster will come off with the tiles. You can apply PVA to the tiles and skim over them.

Who has used this ready to roll plaster? sounds perfect for an amateur like me.
Ready to roll plaster, what T F is that :eek: is it something similar to those frozen puff pastry packs you buy when you want to cheat at making your own pies. :LOL:

The odds are that clods of plaster will come off with the tiles.
Almost guaranteed.

You can apply PVA to the tiles and skim over them.
If your gonna go that route, mix a loose handful of smooth sand, cement, Bonding plaster (or practically anything thats fibrous really), into the PVA to make a slurry. ;)

Sponsored Links
I think the OP means Ready to Rock+Roll :idea: ..ie straight from the tub. Or to use the roots of the expression (from the Southern USA.)...Ready to engage in Coitus :p Could use Thistle Bond-IT

After a bit more research i'm going down the route of plastering the tiles. My tiles are sound and flat, when i removed them from the shower area to re-tile they took half the wall with them!

For the preperation is it best to use 50:50 PVA / water mixed with sand, apply a couple of coats untill i have a sandpaper like surface

or apply 50:50 PVA / water mix, then apply a second stronger solution of PVA and apply plaster whilst still tacky. I have read that the plaster may slide about using this method?

For the plaster itself, once i have chosen my desired preperation base can i use thistle multi finish for both coats or is a ready mixed Wickes product suffcient?

I have come accros a product on the web called 'ready to roll plaster' it can be found here:-
http://www.fibertechdiy.com/readytoroll-plaster/product-info.htm
Its a bit pricey and too good to be true,
Almost certainly & almost certainly.

just wondered if anyone had used it here.
Don’t take this the wrong way M8 but the product you mention is a strictly DIY, so called alternative to plastering. This is a plastering forum, do you really think anyone on here would have used such a product (maybe before they knew better :LOL: ) or take it seriously let alone have anything good to say about it. It is what it is & it will never, ever, ever be a substitute for a decent re-skim; you may be better trying the Decorating forum, I’m sure those guys need to get up to such dodges from time to time; no offense guys ;)

After a bit more research i'm going down the route of plastering the tiles. My tiles are sound and flat, when i removed them from the shower area to re-tile they took half the wall with them! For the preperation is it best to use 50:50 PVA / water mixed with sand, apply a couple of coats untill i have a sandpaper like surface
Re plastering over the top, as a novice, rather than trying to make your own concoction with PVA & additives, you may be better of using this as recommended by Nige F;
http://www.british-gypsum.com/produ...le_plaster_bonding_agents/thistlebond-it.aspx
It will be more expensive but at least you won’t get it wrong.

For the plaster itself, once i have chosen my desired preperation base can i use thistle multi finish for both coats or is a ready mixed Wickes product suffcient?

It depends on your level of competence; personally I would never touch one coat but it will give you forever to get it right. To someone used to it, Multi will give you equally as long time on such a low absorption background (but not forever) But I’ve no idea how one coat will behave over “Bondit”, over tiles; I’ve never tried it but my feeling is it probably won’t stick very well & could take days to go off.

It sounds like the Gypsum bond is best, i will also attempt the use of multi finish.

You lot probably think i'm crazy attempting this and i forgot to mention i'm female ;)

However putting the sexuality aside, i will put my hand to anything (you know what i mean!!) if i dont feel confident i wont do it but if it goes wrong i will call a plasterer to put it right, he might not like the job but he will be paid to fix it. If i dont try i will never know, we all started somewhere.

I work in construction as a QS, this probably where i get the DIY urge and some of the work i have seen done by so called craftsmen leaves alot to be desired!

You lot probably think i'm crazy attempting this and i forgot to mention i'm female ;) If i dont try i will never know, we all started somewhere.
Good for you, let us know how you get on.

However putting the sexuality aside, i will put my hand to anything (you know what i mean!!)
:confused: :LOL:

I work in construction as a QS, this probably where i get the DIY urge and some of the work i have seen done by so called craftsmen leaves alot to be desired!
Unfortunately the diminishing quality of all trades seems to be an ever increasing problem; some who call themselves tradesmen haven’t really got any idea on suitability of tools/materials let alone make a half decent job of using them.

[/quote]
Unfortunately the diminishing quality of all trades seems to be an ever increasing problem; some who call themselves tradesmen haven’t really got any idea on suitability of tools/materials let alone make a half decent job of using them.[/quote]

I totally agree, i work on large commercial projects and unfortunately it's more about programme and cost rather than quality. Most programmes just dont allow for the good 'old school' craftsman and my budget doesn't allow for thier rates!

had a look at that ready to roll stuff and personally i'd steer well clear, seems like an alternative to that 'smooth over' rubbish.

i think even as a competent DIYer you'd probably get a better finish attempting to plaster it yourself than use that stuff.

as richard said, skimming over tiles means you will have lots of time to work with it, probably too much and will involve waiting around between trowels but better that not haveing enough time with it in your case.

use either wickes plaster bonding agent or thistle bond-it OR PVA with sand in to give you a key, needn't worry about having a tacky suface to skim onto then as the sand etc will give you the key.

then you just need to lay on your multi finish, flatten it when it's gone cheesy in texture and close up the surface when it's pretty much set.

As i read it i shouldn't worry about getting the first coat super smooth, i just need to get it on relativley flat. Second / final coat is the one i need to concentrate on smoothing out.

I note that the second coat should go on when the first feels spongy / cheesy is there a reason for this, i'm guessing its an adhesion issue?. What would happen if i left the first coat to dry completely say overnight / couple of days, then applied the second?

The walls are noy very big, the biggest is approx 5m2

it's the tried and tested method for skimming, get 1st application on of around 2mm, go back to start and flatten it off, don't worry too much but a quick going over with the trowel is all.

Then get back to start again and apply 2nd application/coat of 1mm, flatten again, now you need to wait until cheesy, if you touch it with fingers and it comes off onto your fingers then it's still too wet but needs to be quite soft still, now you go back across it flattening it more and using plaster that comes off onto trowel to fill any small holes.

you should have time to repeat this process once more to give you the final flat wall, it will then only need 2 trowels once it's pretty much set to close up the surface.

does this make more sense yaff? each plasterer will have slightly different ways of skimming but it shouldn't differ much from this.

If you let the first coat dry out you must PVA before plastering again or it will suck the life out of the new skim coat & it will go off as you look at it defeating the object of the second coat. The point of 2 coats is to control suction so you can work the second skim coat until its nice & level & flat. As you’re skimming onto a very low suction background & it’s your first time I wouldn’t worry too much about the 2 coats; it’s recommended but not always necessary & many can easily manage perfect results with just one skim anyway; it depends on skill, the size of the wall & the background. Don’t attempt to trowel it smooth as you put it on, just get it on the wall fairly flat around 2-4mm thick. It’s difficult trying to explain the next bit but the plaster starts to set from the bottom to the surface & you need it to be right consistency. Leave it too long & it’ll be too hard & wont spread over the wall evening out the highs & lows; too soon & you’ll pull it off the wall or create loads or ridges; so much depends on individual circumstances but experience will just tell you when. You need to go back to where you started & start leveling but don’t overwork it or it will pull & end up full of ridges & bubbles. Once it looks reasonably flat, leave it until it gets to the point (usually after around an hour) where you need to finish it off & then just keep going over it until you’ve satisfied or run out of time. Use a little water to prevent the trowel sticking (I use an old kitchen spray but many use a brush & flick it on) but not too much or the surface will turn into a slurry & never set properly; alternate form horizontal to vertical strokes of the trowel. Don’t over polish it as it dries or you’ll have job getting paint to stick to it; water the paint down 25% for the first 2 coats.

Don’t know if you’ve seen this one but here’s a link you can look at
http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/PLASTER_SKIMMING.htm

Just follow the instructions & it’ll end up perfect! :rolleyes:

If your really serious about having a go it may pay you to buy some plasterboard & have a little practice on that first so you can get a feel for how the plaster behaves but you will have more time over tiles. Good luck with it anyway & 5 sq/m will be plenty big enough for you don’t worry!
;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back