Plaster /paint problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi ive recently overskimmed a ceiling and the plaster was dragging a bit when i was trowelling it up it didnt want to stick to the paint i managed it in the end with a lot of fighting lol and painted it and gave it about 3 coats of paint and on the final coat the roller was sucking the paint off the plaster it was just peeling off couldnt believe it the plaster was completly dry and was still in tact on the ceiling and it was only normal emulsion under neath the plaster not water proof or anything really strange any ideas why this has happened

Sponsored Links
Your plastering isn't up to scratch. It was probably too thick.

Sponsored Links
You say it didn't want to stick? Well plaster sticks to my plastic bucket no problem. You were probably too slow applying it and it went off. When it wouldn't stick you should have started again.

ive been for plastering for years the ceiling was hanging for ages still soaking wet and if it still sticks to your plaster bucket then you wanna get it out a bit quicker dont ya!!! and maybe try cleaning it before it sticks !!!!

if it still sticks to your plaster bucket then you wanna get it out a bit quicker dont ya!!! and maybe try cleaning it before it sticks !!!!

:LOL: :LOL:

When your first coat plaster is dragging then you were a little to early with your top coat,
I'm sure all of us have had this at some time, I've had it on patched walls where I've over skimmed the whole wall' ( painted sections )
the best way I've dealt with it is to flick water on it the first time over.
Reasons for the paint to come off,
1. you may of over troweled the ceiling.
2. no mist coat of paint.
3. your first two coats of paint had not fully dried, ( most likely )
I've seen this before where patches of the under coats hadn't dried and it lifted when they put the top coat on.
I got to go back and reskim two walls in house I'd done three weeks earlier,
you couldn't scrape the paint off the walls but it had peeled with the roller when they tried putting another coat on the same day,
what I couldn't believe was after they saw it happen on one wall they then went in the next room and tried putting on another coat
in there.

yea to be honest i think your probably right about the paint not drying properly ive found that if you buy a better quality paint you can get away with it but i let the customer buy some cheap **** focus paint!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back