Plaster patching old walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am patching a small section (1ft sq) of wall (from bare brickwork) in a 1933 built house.

I do not want to use a modern gypsum type plaster, instead, I want to emmulate as much as possible what is already on the wall.
The bonding coat seems to consist of a sharp sand and maybe lime as well. The skim coat is nearly all white with a few dark specks in it.

What exactly are these materials and how do I create them myself?
Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
its not worth the effort for the sake of a patch that size,honestly. in terms of cost effort and time, its not as if your keeping to original because you will probably paper or paint with manufactured products and if your not familiar with lime sand mortars and finish you might be better using gypsum products :)

Thanks Jbonding
If it's going to be hard to get the materials then I'll obviously go for the modern gypsum stuff.
Out of interest, the dampness problem seems to be from condensation. The wall itself is bone dry. I've been told to brush over the finished job in a waterproof coating to prevent any further condensation affecting the plaster.

the wall needs to breath the waterproofer what ever it is will stop it breathing , sort the heating and ventilation out and that should sort the problem out, if its below 3 foot on the ground floor sand and cement with a waterproofer for filling any big holes would be your best bet.

Sponsored Links
jbonding said:
its not worth the effort for the sake of a patch that size,honestly. in terms of cost effort and time, its not as if your keeping to original because you will probably paper or paint with manufactured products and if your not familiar with lime sand mortars and finish you might be better using gypsum products :)

It might not be cost effective for a professional, but there's no reason to not do it diy. The materials are easily available, sharp sand, hair and lime. For paint, you can get lime or clay paints or perhaps linseed oil emulsion. Plaster repairs would have been done as a diy exercise years ago because people were not well off and used to look after themselves. Use your browser and look up lime plaster repair, there are loads of sites, and it's easy to work with (unless you are using gypsum all day :D)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back