plaster problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
had the hall and stairs re-plastered 6 months ago . It was mist coated and 2 coats of emulsion . All was well till yesterday I noticed that behind the radiator at the bottom of the stairs the paint has flaked off and left bare plaster and in one area the top coat plaster has come off leaving the undercoat plaster . I cannot see what caused it or what to do to repair it .
Can anyone help.

Sponsored Links
I always roughen up the wall with a hammer, above any radiator, just to give a mechanical key for the plaster to grip onto. Sometimes, the heat from the heater/radiator, can, and will cause the plaster skim to come loose and crack. Did you let the plaster dry naturally before you put the radiator back onto the wall/brackets??

Thanks for your reply , it seems the plaster may not have been totaly dry before I refitted the radiator .

Sponsored Links
it seems the plaster may not have been totaly dry before I refitted the radiator .

That probably didn't help either,,,,, always better to let plaster/cement dry naturally/slowly. To repair it, you would need to carefully trim around the damaged area, remove the loose skim, pva the area, then bond and skim it again. Done properly,, you'd never know it had been repaired,,, honestly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back