Plasterboad for internal walls in my hobby shed. Advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking of using plasterboard for the new internals walls in my hobby (model railway) shed. Is there something called vapour lining on some types of plasterboard? is this what I should be using. How does it differ from ordinary plasterboard. I am going to insulate between the outer wooded wall and the internal wall with loft insulation material. How does this affect the need for vapour lined plasterboard.

Or would people siggest other materials, mdf? etc

Sponsored Links
signalnorth said:
I was thinking of using plasterboard for the new internals walls in my hobby (model railway) shed. Is there something called vapour lining on some types of plasterboard? is this what I should be using. How does it differ from ordinary plasterboard. I am going to insulate between the outer wooded wall and the internal wall with loft insulation material. How does this affect the need for vapour lined plasterboard.

Or would people siggest other materials, mdf? etc

Mdf or ply could also be used, up to you. The vapour barrier is necessary to prevent condensation in the walls. Use either foil backed plasterboard, or (cheaper) polythene sheet under the plasterboard, with all joints taped up. You can get green stuff specially for this in Wickes. Leave a gap between the insulation and outer wall, the timber will need airflow behind it to dry off when it gets wet. Better still use breathable roofing membrane between outer cladding and insulation, although if the building is already up don't worry about this.

hi, you should introduce a polythene membrane or breathable membrane to outer framework, use rockwool flexi slab 50mm between stud members and foil backed plasterboard or other board such as mdf, osb, sheathing ply to suit internally
regards john

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back