Plasterboard Ceiling keeps cracking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Plasterboard Ceiling in my rooms keeps cracking between the joints. I did try fixing it by adding the fiber joint tape and then plastering over with EasyFill. But over a year (SUmmer/Winter) it keeps cracking.

Is there anything I can do to stop it from cracking?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
It's likely because the plasterboard isn't fixed firmly enough to the joists above, could you add some screws?

It's likely because the plasterboard isn't fixed firmly enough to the joists above, could you add some screws?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I can add some screws, just drive a few more screws into the plasterboard and joists?

Hi there,

Indeed; I did so with a join in our home. Make sure you aren't going to screw into any lighting cables.

Nailed plasterboard can come a little loose over time, and the gap can easily lead on to cracking as you've described.

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

Indeed; I did so with a join in our home. Make sure you aren't going to screw into any lighting cables.

Nailed plasterboard can come a little loose over time, and the gap can easily lead on to cracking as you've described.

Thanks, I will do that.

But wouldn't it tear apart somwhere else? As it will not have any space to relase the pressure?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back